⭬ Chapter VI

༺ T H E S U R P R I S E ༻

༺ T H E  S U R P R I S E ༻

-------------------------

"Got any eights?"

"Afraid not, my dear. Do you have a three?"

Clara huffed playfully and slid the card over to Swann. The two had been playing card games all night. Clara had suggested it as a way to calm the Governor's nerves after she explained to him what had happened to his daughter. For some odd reason, it worked - for both of them.

The door swiftly opened, and James (with a few of his men in tow) swept into the office. However, he paused when he saw the curious situation of the two having stayed up through the night to play cards.

Craning her neck to look at him, Clara smiled. "Hello, Commodore."

"Ms Garner, I'd rather not have your shoes on my desk."

Sighing, she removed her feet and rolled her eyes at her fiancé, he will forever be the same. Standing and fixing her skirts, Clara asked the question they were dreading the answer to. "You haven't gotten Elizabeth back, have you?"

James shook his head.

Bowing her head, Clara whispered: "This is all my fault."

Swann, who had deserted his seat as well, looked at her in pity and confusion. "Clara, you had no control-"

"But I did. She sacrificed herself so I may escape. I knew they were after her and yet I left her to fend off undead pirates. I saw them take her and I did nothing to prevent or stop it," she took a shaky breath, coming to terms with what ensued the night prior. She turned to her employer. "I am so sorry, Governor."

Governor Swann covered her hand with his. "There is nothing to be sorry for. We will find my daughter, I promise, even if it's the last thing I do." He stood up. "I want every available man in this God-forsaken navy out looking for her, Commodore."

"Of course, Sir."

-------------------------

Upon the Governor's orders all soldiers, both naval and military, were called to the fort where those wounded would be taken care of and preparation would be made. A table was moved outside under shade so that Governor and Commodore could watch everything proceed as they mapped out the right course.

A figure, distraught and messy, came charging through the fort, not stopping for anyone who was in his way.

The man caught Clara's attention right away. "Will?" she said, stepping away from the table and joining him at the stairs. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," he brushed her off and turned to James. "They've taken her. They've taken Elizabeth!"

Without looking at him, James asked Murtog for him to be removed.

Before the guard could lay a finger on him, Will pulled away. "We have to hunt them down. We must save her."

"And where do you propose we start?" asked Swann who had been distant - in his own thoughts - up until then. "If you have any information concerning my daughter, share it."

"Will-" Clara gently touched Will's arm, forcing him to look at her. "-I have already informed them of everything that happened. We are doing everything we can."

The blacksmith's gaze softened at her words and his rigidness disappeared.

Murtog spoke up. "That Jack Sparrow. He talked about the Black Pearl."

The other guard, Mullory, broke in, too. "Mentioned it is more what he did."

The flame had been reignited. "Ask him. Make a deal with him. He could lead us to it."

"No," responded James with little care. "The pirates who invaded this fort left Sparrow in his cell. Ergo, they are not his allies. Governor, we will establish their most likely course-"

Norrington was cut off by the yelp of Clara, who was pushed aside by Will. He brought his hatchet down upon the table, into the middle of the Commodore's map. "That's not good enough!"

Murtog scrambled to hoist the young woman back, and as Norrington turned to look at Will, he caught her eye. His eyes flash in worry for a split second, seeming to ask if she was alright. Clara discreetly nodded and fixed her dress. Norrington then grasped the hatchet.

"Mr. Turner, you are not a military man, you are not a sailor." The Commodore came round the table and hand the weapon back to Will. "You are a blacksmith, and this is not the moment for rash actions." He grasped his arm and led him further to the stairs, whispering something to the blacksmith. He left Will to stand beside Clara, a warm hand on her back. "Are you alright?" he asked in the same hushed tone.

"Yes, thank you, Commodore."

Smiling ever the slightest so that only she could, he returned to his map, showing the Governor their best option for finding Elizabeth.

Clara heard her name being called and she turned, searching the o[en court. Through the mass of soldiers and sailors was Will behind a nearby pillar. He beckoned to her and, glancing behind her to make sure Governor Swann and James were occupied, she snuck over.

"Will? What are you-"

"Come with me. You have a first-hand account of what happened, you know what they look like and in what direction they are headed in. Elizabeth is not safe while the navy is out searching for her. It is just more of a reason for the pirates to kill her, but if we can get Sparrow to help, we might have a chance."

Clara hung her head. "I hate how convincing you can be, you make a decent argument, but I can't." She glanced at her ring finger and her other hand reached for it, twisting the beautiful ring.

Will followed her gaze and stared at the glimmering jewel. "What is this?" he asked as he took her hand.

"A ring."

"Who?"

"What?"

"Who proposed?"

"You will not like the answer."

"I do not care, as long as you are happy."

"Clara? Where did that girl go? Clara!" shouted the Governor.

Placing a finger against her lips, the blonde took her friend's hand and dashed for the closes exit.

As they ran, they heard Norrington behind them, watching as they left. "Miss Garner! Clara! Clara, darling, come back!"

Will glance at her. "'Darling'?"

"It's a long story."

"Then make it short."

"He's the one."

"Pardon?"

"It was he who proposed."

Pulling on her arm, Will stopped and ushered her into a nearby alley. "What about Elizabeth?"

"It was all a misunderstanding. The Governor has consented to us marrying." She took his hand in hers, tightly grasping it. "Will, this changes everything, you can be with Elizabeth now."

"No. Not when you're forced into this-"

"Will, I''m not being forced into anything. Norrington has been there for me since the day I was caught stealing with Archer. I love him, and he loves me."

"You swear it is true?"

"Every word."

Will nodded. "Alright. Apologies for the accusations."

"It is fine, Will, such things are to be expected. Now, let's go get us a pirate."

-------------------------