⭬ Chapter XIX

༺ T H E E S C A P E ༻

-------------------------

The sight of their friends upon the gallows made Clara sick. She hadn't even pleaded to Norrington to pardon them, she had been too invested with her brother to do so. She was finding it hard to breathe as Norrington's men restrained Catalina. "This is wrong."

"Commodore Norrington is bound by the law. As are we all," the Governor told her.

"Then why are we standing here with you instead of up there?" she snapped.

"Clara, calm yourself," whispered Archer, a hand on her back. He could feel her quickening breathing, shallow and shakey. "Clara, what is wrong?"

She shot a glare at him, pulling away. "I already told you what is wrong."

A figure in a red cloak and hat was moving about the crowd, going straight to them. He held up his face to them, a small smile on his face. Will. He nodded. "Governor Swann. Commodore." His smile grew as he moved through the line. "Lieutenant, congratulations."

Archer bowed his head. "Thank you, Mr Turner."

"Miss Clara."

"Will."

He stopped at the Governor's daughter. "Elizabeth."

She glanced at him, a flash of shock in her eyes.

"I should have told you every day from the moment I met you. I love you." Quickly, he turned away and was back in the crowd.

Clara fought off a squeal, but she managed to jump up and down. "Yes!"

The four looked at her.

She stood still once again and cleared her throat. "Apologies."

The drums rumbled louder than ever and Clara was brought back to the moment at hand. The executioner had placed the rope around Jack's neck and tightened it. Clara once again started to hyperventilate. And she went cross-eyed, after being witness to the killing of Norrington's men and Barbossa, she would be accustomed to death. "I can't breathe," she muttered as she swayed.

Archer's bright eyes trimmed as he looked at his sister. "Clara?" She fell back but was caught by him in time, and he brought her to the cool, stone ground. "James!"

James had stepped forward, shouting at his marines the beginning of an order, but was cut off by Archer shouting. he turned to find Clara in his arms, passed out and her breathing shallow. The Governor had taken his hat off and was fanning her with it as he shouted her name, trying to get a response.

The Commodore knelt beside him and took Clara's arm in hand, trying to find a pulse as her shallow, quick breaths were coming to a stop. "Clara, darling, wake up."