⭬ Chapter VII

༺ T H E  I N T E R C E P T O R༻

-------------------------

Having confused and lost Norrington's men, the two friends returned to the fort. The sun was now at its highest and the place slowly became deserted. Will and Clara crept down the stairs, cautious of not making any noise that may catch attention. 

Will held a hand out, slightly telling the young woman to let him go first. It did not matter whether or not there were iron bars separating them from the criminal - Jack was pirate, a cunning and sneaky pirate. 

"You. Sparrow," said William, waiting little time with formalities and whatnot.

"Aye." The pirate only lifted his head, as he was laying on the ground amidst the dirt and hay.

"Are you familiar with that ship? The Black Pearl?"

He dropped his back down. "I've heard of it."

"Where does it make berth?"

Sparrow looked back up, surprise on his face. "Where does it make berth? Have you not heard the stories?"

Will and Clara glanced at each other before returning to Jack, the pirate continuing on, giving them the short version. 

"Captain Barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded Isla de Muerta. It's an island that cannot be found, except by those who already know where it is."

"The ship's real enough. Therefore its anchorage must be a real place. Where is it?"

Jack's attention was more focused on his nails, seeming bored. "Why ask me?"

"Because you're a pirate."

"And you want to turn pirate yourself. Is that it?"

Will surged forward, harshly grasping the cell bars, making Clara flinch. "Never."

"Will." The maid gently placed a hand on his arm and he backed away a few inches. She turned to the pirate. "We are not exactly what you would call . . . seaworthy. But they took my friend. We need your help to get her back."

"And who is this friend of yours."

The two hesitated. 

"Miss Swann," Will stated.

Jack sat up fully, intrigued. "Oh, so it is that you found a girl. I see. Well, if you're intending to brave all, hasten to her rescue, and so win fair lady's heart, you'll have to do it alone, mate. I se no profit in it for me."

"I can get you out."

"How? The key's run off."

"I helped build these cells. These are half-pin barrel hinges. With the right leverage and the proper application of strength-" he placed a small bench between the cell bars. "-the door will lift free."