⭬ Chapter XV

༺ S A V E D ༻

-------------------------

The moment the boast was in reach, Clara had waded in the water, going as fast as the tide allowed her to. She yelled for James, her cheeks and lungs hurting as she ran to the shore, never dropping her smile. Having no sense of propriety left, Clara jumped onto James, tightly hugging him as tears of both joy and fear rushed down her now-tan skin.

He hesitated before saying to hell with it and hugged her back, picking her up by the legs to bring her into the boat and upon his lap. He then kissed the ring on her hand, her hair, her forehead, her cheek, he had missed her so much.  He had let himself think about if he never found her, he couldn't, he had to stay strong for his men, for the Governor.

The Governor cleared his throat, making all eyes turn to him. Without saying a thing, Clara and James understood what he wished to happen and they sprung apart, Clara moving to the wooden bench beside her betrothed.

In their intimate moment, they had missed Elizabeth climbing aboard and the arrest of Captain Jack Sparrow. James smirked, he had accomplished what he had set out to do. gesturing to the officers who manned the boat, they set course back to the Dauntless.

"But we've got to save Will!" argued Elizabeth.

"No," countered Governor Swann. "You're safe now. We will return to Port Royal immediately - not go gallivanting after pirates."

"Then we condemn him to death."

"The boy's fate is regrettable, but so is his decision to engage in piracy."

"To rescue me. To prevent anything from happening to me."

Jack raised a hand. "If I may be so bold as to interject my professional opinion. The Pearl was listing near to scuppers after the battle. It'll be very unlikely she'll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. How can you pass that up, right?"

"By remembering that I serve others, Mister Sparrow, not only myself."

Elizabeth gave a pleading look to Clara to do something, anything, as Norrington walked away. Acting quickly, Clara grabbed his arm, stopping him. "Commodore, I beg you, please do this. Not just for Elizabeth, but for me. As a wedding gift."

James paused halfway up the steps, surprised she would say such a thing aloud. Little to none knew of their betrothal. "Clara-"

The pleading in her eyes shattered his heat and broke his mind. He loved her so much that she was his only weakness, he hated it. It made him vulnerable and how could he protect her if she was what lowered his defences?

"Please," she whispered.

Keeping a straight face, James walked down the stairs, looking at the pirate behind his love. "Mr Sparrow, you will accompany these fine men to the helm and provide us with a bearing to Isla de Muerta. You will then spend the rest of the voyage contemplating all meanings of the phrase 'silent as the grave.' Do I make myself clear?"

"Inescapably clear."

-------------------------

Clara was escorted to the Commodore's cabin shortly after and was given a new dress to wear. It was wonderful to be in clean clothes once again and in something so wonderful. It was clearly picked out by Norrington as it was elegant but suited her needs while out on the water.

Clara waited around for an hour, deciding to read a book once she became bored. She was skimming the pages, eye glancing over when the room abruptly opened, James stepping through, the door slamming behind him. He locked eyes with Clara and marched straight to her, his face barren of any emotion or thought.

Clara stumbled to get up from her chair. James had reached her just as she stood up and without a moment to ask how he was, the Commodore grasped her face gently and kissed her.

This kiss was different from the last time. This one was filled with a passion like no other. It had desire and emotion flooding through from him onto her. The first, and only other, kiss they shared had been unsure, tentative. But now, James knew what he wanted. He wanted her.

All his fears and wants had manifested into something he could no longer control. The second he got a chance to breathe, he rushed to his cabin, knowing Clara would be there waiting for him.

Clara fell against the desk, and she placed a hand on the edge to keep herself steady, or else she would end up sprawled out on it. Her mind had turned to mush, not a thought ran through it, except for the occasional notion that James was a good kisser and she was wondering what happened to make it as so.

James gently broke the kiss off, pulling away only slightly to lean his forehead against hers. His hands had travelled down to her hips, the pressure of them sending a chill through Clara. "I have missed you, darling. More than you could guess."

She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Oh, but I can. I don't think you understand just how much I've missed you." A flicker in his gaze. "What is wrong, love?"

"I was terrified I might never see you again. I had no way of knowing if you were alright. I couldn't bear to fathom what those pirates could do to you."

"I am fine. Nothing happened."

James half smiled, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, exposing the gash on her temple. "Clara, what is this?"

She reached up, and touched the wound. "Oh, that? It is nothing, I just fell is all." She gave him a look. "James, truly, we were stuck in a harsh storm and I cut my head. It's almost healed anyway."

"Well, now you're with me, I promise nothing like that will happen again. Not on my watch." He leaned down and grazed her lips. "I love you very much, dear."

"I love you more."

James huffed out a laugh. "Impossible. I must return to my duties but I will be back." He was about to kiss her goodbye when she pulled back.

"James, I must warn you. Barbossa and his men - they are too dangerous. The Interceptor was destroyed in minutes, please, do not do anything rash."

"They are only pirates, love, they are nothing new under the sun."

"No, James, this is one battle you cannot win. Jack wants to see you fail."

"Clara, everything will be alright." He kissed the top of her head. "Don't go anywhere, I need you to be here when I return."

Giving up, knowing this was one argument she could not win, Clara responded with a 'yes.'

"I love you," he said once more.

"And I, you."

Sharing one last heated kiss, Clara could not shake the uneasy feeling in her chest.

-------------------------