⭬ Chapter XVI

༺ R U L E S ༻

-------------------------

Night had fallen and Norrington, his men, and Jack set out to surprise Barbossa. Shouting came from outside a few minutes after their departure. Clara turned from the window, having hoped to see the men, and found Gillette opening the doors of the cabin, two other men with him, shoving an oddly dressed Elizabeth inside.

"Sorry, but it's for your own safety," the lieutenant told Elizabeth.

"I don't care what the Commodore ordered! I have to tell him - the pirates - they're cursed! They can't be killed!"

Cursed? Clara had figured something was off about the whole lot, but she could never place what. It made sense now, how they never seemed to have a soul when you looked them in the eye.

"Don't worry, miss, he's already been informed of that. A little mermaid flopped up on deck and told him the whole story," he glanced behind Elizabeth. "Hello, Miss Garner."

"Hello, Lieutenant," she responded slowly.

Gillette closed the door and locked it. Elizabeth tried to open it without success. "This is Jack Sparrow's doing!" she said to Clara.

The older girl stepped forward and calmly placed a hand on her friend's, bringing them away from the handle. "It is no use trying to go through that way, it is how I got hurt back on the Interceptor. Besides, I have already informed James, he did not listen."

Elizabeth scoffed. "Are you surprised?"

"A bit, he normally takes into consideration what I say . . . what are you doing?"

"Escaping." She had taken the linen from the bed and dressers, tying them together. She finished one of the knots and looked up. "Will you join me?" Noticing Clara's uncertainty, she added, "I have to save Will . . . and the Commodore."

"Alright." Taking up the other end, Clara started to work on the makeshift rope.

A knock sounded and the Governor's silhouette could be seen through the windows. "Elizabeth? Clara? I just wanted you to know I believe you girls made a very good decision today."

The two paused, hearing what he wished to about and returned to the task at hand.

"Couldn't be more proud of you, Clara."

That made the girl stop, head shooting up.

"I understand that I could never replace what you once had, but I hope that you know I see you as my own. You are a Swann in your own right, and I am glad to have given the Commodore the chance to ask for your hand. He loves you very much, as well as Elizabeth, I want you to know that even if you shall carry a different name, you and the Commodore will always be one of us."