Chapter Two

DEAN'S POV

Dusk in Nairobi was a sight to behold especially from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. I loved to sit and watch the plans take off and land, the people travelling in and out of the country. At the airport there was a mix of so many cultures, it was amazing. I got to see heartfelt goodbyes as people bid farewell to their families and friends and the warm hugs of hello as people reunited after being away from each other.

It was a bit hectic in the evening as people exited the airport but that was good for business. I had been working since three am and it was my last trip of the day before I went home. I was not in a rush to get a customer so I stayed back smoking a cigarette as I waited for my turn. The best customers were those travelling from abroad especially the Caucasians, they tipped really well and I was hoping to get such a customer for my last shift.

I knew smoking was bad for my health but it was the one vice I allowed myself since I didn't drink.

After the rush was over I pinched off the lit end of the cigarette and put it back in the pack, popped some mint gum in my mouth and got back into the Sedan. The sweet ride was not mine, there's no way I could afford it. I got it from a private business man with a fleet of rental cars. At the end of the day he got his cut and I got mine. It was a fair deal and the money was good so I couldn't complain much. Being a driver had not been my dream job but with the current economic status in Kenya one couldn't afford to be picky.

As I drove forward I noticed a young Caucasian woman with long blonde hair and bright red lips approaching the taxi lane. She had nothing on her except a small backpack and a large handbagwhich was weird since most people travelling to Kenya usually had two suitcases or more. She did look loaded though so I hoped she would get into my car. The heavens smiled upon me because she opened the backseat door and got in.

"Good evening miss, welcome to Nairobi, Kenya. Where would you like me to take you this evening?"I asked her.

She was young, very beautiful and those lips, the red lipstick suited her perfectly.

"Hi good evening, what's your name?"She asked her accent sounding posh and sophisticated.

I had been right to assume that she came from money. It was about to be a good evening for me.

"My name is Dean ma'am."I replied.

"It's nice to meet you Dean my name is River. I hope I'm not being rude when I ask, can you speak English properly Dean? I want to be able to know that I can communicate well with you."She inquired.

Why did most white people assume that Kenyans couldn't speak English? It's a subject we had been taught since first grade but she was entitled to ask questions and she was actually being polite about it.

"Yes ma'am as do most people in Kenya. It's a subject we learn in school."I answered.

"Sorry it's just my first time traveling to Africa so I have no idea what I'm doing. Please don't misjudge me."She requested.

"No problem ma'am. Where do you want to go?"I asked but once again she ignored me.

"Are you a trustworthy man Dean?"She inquired.

The young woman sure had a lot of questions for me but as long as she paid me at the end of the trip I wouldn't care. I realized that I was holding up the line and started driving hoping she would tell me where we were going before we made it out of the airport.

"My mama raised me right ma'am."I replied.

I was not perfect but I took pride in the fact that my mom had made an honest man out of me. I worked hard for everything I had and never took what did not belong to me.