Chapter Fourteen

DEAN'S POV

Adjusting my bachelor way of life to accommodate living with River was not as hard as I imagined it to be. As long as River was well fed and not in pain she was a delight to be around. She spent her days eating, napping and watching TV. She was like a cat, easy to maintain and self cleaning. Though her claws would come out if she heard me referring to her as a feline. Her injuries were getting better day by day and the bruising on her face was fading. The dark purple hues were gone and now two weeks later they were a faint yellow.

I didn't want to spend all day cooped up in the house with her so I had reactivated my uber driver account to keep busy. River didn't mind being left alone in the house as long as she had food, wifi and the bed was within walking distance from the kitchen.

The only downside to living together was sleeping on the couch. I loved my couch, it was my most expensive furniture but it was not meant for sleeping. I endured it though because even though River could fit better on it, she wasn't fully healed yet. I was a good host and since us living together had been my idea in the first place, I had to make sure that River was comfortable.

I'd had a long day picking up and dropping customers off but I had to see my mom before I went home to River. Rent for the next month was due and even though she hadn't asked for it I was going to give it to her just to be safe.

I let myself into my childhood home like I owned the place and found Dwayne doing his homework in the living room.

"What are you doing here?"He asked without looking up from his books.

"To beat that attitude out of you that's what."I replied.

"So I can become ugly like you? No thanks."He shrugged.

"I see you're feeling better."I chuckled taking a seat on the sofa behind him and placing my legs on top of his head.

"This is why nobody misses you in this house." Dwayne groaned moving away.

"Well unfortunately for you your opinion doesn't count."I retorted smacking him with a pillow.

That action started a pillow fight between us which ended up with me putting Dwayne in a headlock. I wasn't hurting him but I did enjoy messing with him. Our age gap didn't allow Dwayne and I to have a close relationship but it was a good one nonetheless.

"Boys seriously that's my living room your trashing. Dean leave your brother alone."My mom demanded walking in on us.

She had probably been attracted by all the noise we were making. I let Dwayne go and shoved him back into the seat.

"Mom we need to take his key back."Dwayne demanded.

"The day you start paying rent then you can start making the rules."I said smacking his his head with a pillow once more as I got up to greet my mom.

"Hi mom."

"Dean when did you get here?"She asked we we walked to the kitchen for some privacy.

"A few minutes ago. How are you?"

"Good, the school term is just starting to pick up so I'll be busier now which is good."She replied.

"Glad to hear that. I just dropped by to give you this."I said retrieving the envelope with rent and some extra cash for necessities around the house.

"We're okay Dean."She declined trying to give the money back to me.

"Fine then save it for a rainy day."I shrugged stepping away to pick up an apple from the fruit bowl.

"Thank you but you didn't have to."She sighed folding the envelope and putting it away.

"I know but I wanted to. I'll get going now."