Break

When we picked Cameron and his family up from the airport, it was like I was watching myself from the third person. Conrad, Jeremiah, and I all waited, sitting in the chairs by baggage claim for them to arrive.

This time a few months ago, I was bouncing off the walls, so ready to see him and jump into his arms that Conrad was about to hold me down.

Now, I sit patiently, painfully knowing that this wasn't a planned visit. We haven't been counting down the days to have an adventure together. He is here because my mom is dead. His whole family came to try and fill some sort of hole in my heart.

"Do you even want to see him?" Jeremiah asked, bouncing his leg a million miles a second.

I pulled my hair out of my face and smoothed down my shirt. It was already eight, we wouldn't be home for at least three hours, and we had to be up so early tomorrow.

"I do," I told him. "I'm just kinda numb right now."

Conrad put his hand on my back, "Yeah, Cam Cameron will change that. I'll make sure of it. Because you don't have to be strong for him. I mean...you don't have to be strong for me, I am your big brother after all."

I slapped his arm playfully, "Three minutes you idiot."

Cameron : landed. Getting off ASAP, Shelb is grabbing my bag so I can just make it to you. We will talk about the plan when I see you. I love you, I'm almost there.

Emilia: I love you. See ya soon.

"Cameron is on the way," I told the boys. "Well, he landed so we still have like fifteen minutes."

A small smile fell across Conrad's face, "Next time he comes in town I want you to remember that instead of practically jumping to the ceiling when he texts you that he landed."

Jere looked between us, "I liked when she jumped to the ceiling. I wish she did now, it would be normal."

I stood up when I saw Cameron on the other side of the stupid red line that outside people can't cross. "Nothing about any of this is normal."

Our eyes connected and I watched Cameron speed up toward me. He crossed over the line and I started walking toward him.

Seeing him, and being so close to him I felt my eyes well with tears. Shit. I froze until he got to me. He wrapped his arms around me and I practically melted into them. He held my head so close and so tight to his chest.

I quickly realized that he was holding up the majority of my weight. I didn't try to change that, because if I did that would mean I'd have to let go.

I buried my face in his neck and took a deep breath. Being brought back to the comfort of him just by his smell was enough for a tear to escape my eyes.

"Hey girl," I heard Shelby say. I hadn't seen her since Cameron's prom, I hoped she didn't think I was rude to not hug her. That would mean leaving Cameron.

I felt a soft hand on my arm, "Oh honey," Denise whispered. "Do you kids have the brain power to talk for a second?"

I tensed up, fearing the worse. Conrad walked over and took her bag, "Yes ma'am. What do you need?"

"Oh thank you, sweetheart," she mumbled quickly.

She seemed surprised. I'm not sure if it was because Conrad just appeared out of nowhere, or if it was being helpful even though we are the ones who are supposed to be helped.

Those poor kids. Oh, they are so young. Phrases that have filled our ears since the moment mom passed. Clearly, no one knows us...especially Conrad and I. We only know how to be strong. Being weak is what's scary.