Feast

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was one of Mom's favorite things for the sole purpose that she gets to have people over and cook for them. She's been having good days recently, her mood has been high with the Conklins coming over but that same fact has made Jeremiah's mood worse. I quite honestly hate this for me.

"Hi beautiful," Cameron smiled, snaking his arm around my waist. "I love your dress."

It was a short-sleeved burgundy dress with a gold heart necklace. He had on a polo shirt that matched my dress and a pair of jeans that fit him perfectly.

I smiled up at him, "Hi."

He kissed me softly and pulled me to face him so he could kiss me better. "I'm going to go see if your mom needs any help."

He turned to walk out of my room and I slapped his butt quickly.

He whipped his head around with a shocked face, "What exactly was that, Miss Fisher?"

I smiled, "What...the jeans make your butt look good. And I like never get to see you in person so I am taking all the chances to touch you."

"All of them?" He asked raising his eyebrow.

I felt my face get hot as he walked over and whispered into my ear, "You're a little red Miss Fisher."

***

We all sat around the table. Jeremiah and Cameron were next to me, Mom and Laurel were at the ends of the tables, Dad and Steven were next to Mom, and Belly and Conrad were next to each other. I could see how badly it hurt Jeremiah to see them holding hands. It hurt me just as bad knowing how the boys' relationship was falling apart. I understand that Belly means a lot to our family but when does it get to the point that they realize that losing family over a girl is too much?

"It all looks amazing," Cameron smiled.

Mom smiled back at him. She truly loved Cameron. Anytime he hugged her she would smile bigger than ever. She was always happier when he was around. She told me how much she loved seeing us together. She's been working on countless notes for us kids to read at big moments in our lives after the inevitable happens and she's added a few for Cameron and even some for his mom.

"Half the food is weird because there isn't any bacon in it," Dad said, glaring at Cameron.

Mom slapped his arm, "Adam."

Cameron looked down at his plate, "I'm sorry...I told Emilia I could have found something. I didn't expect anyone to make anything special for me."

I put my hand on his knee, "No, it's fine. Don't listen to him."

Dad shook his head, "At least you and Conrad brought someone to Thanksgiving."

Jeremiah scoffed, "Well I would have a date if my brother didn't steal her out from under me."

"Stop being such a baby!" Conrad yelled as Jeremiah walked up the stairs.

Dad rolled his eyes and walked outside. It was all falling apart. How could no one see that this is the last Thanksgiving we will have with Mom? Why am I the only one who seems to care about this?

Mom's face fell, I walked over to her and put my hand on her shoulder. "How about I clean up and you go take a break? You can let Belly go through the clothes that I didn't want," I smiled.

Cameron walked over too, "Yeah, we got it. You earned some rest with all the amazing food you made."

She looked up at him and smiled. He helped her up out of her chair and hugged her. She was smiling again, back to her happy self. Thank God Cameron's hugs aren't just magical to me.

***

It didn't take much out of me physically to do the dishes, but emotionally it took everything out of me. I sat on the couch next to Mom as the Hallmark movies played on the TV. Cameron stood behind me and rubbed my shoulders, kissing me on the head softly.

"You're so amazing," He whispered.

I smiled up at him, "You can go play Wii with the boys, it's okay."

He kissed me on the smile, "They invited me. I am happy here with you. Jeremiah isn't playing anyway...he said his head hurt."

I sat up to go get him but Cameron pushed me back softly, "You do not have the emotional capacity to help him right now. You need to recharge and get more spoons before you lose any."

I nodded slowly, letting it go, letting myself breathe, and listening to him.

"You kids can go watch a different movie in your bed, Sunshine Girl," Mom told us happily.

I shook my head and laid my head in her lap. She kissed my head and rubbed her thumb on my forehead. Cameron sat next to us, moving my feet to his lap and covering them up with a blanket. He rubbed his hands up and down my legs.

"I'll carry her up to her bed if she falls asleep," I heard him whisper to Mom.

"She hasn't slept much," Mom told him.

I opened my eyes and looked at them, "I can hear you guys. You know that...right?"

Cameron leaned over and kissed my hand, "We know pretty, but at least you know that you are going to be taken care of."

Mom kissed my head again and started playing with my hair, "You better let him take care of you, Sunshine. He cares for you so much."

"I know he does. He's amazing. I love him so much."

She laughed quietly, "I love him too."

Cameron squeezed my leg softly, "I love you both so much. I am so happy that both of you are in my life."

"You fit into the family so perfectly," Mom added.

I laughed, "Yeah, sometimes I think that you are going to go and date my brother."

"Please," he laughed. "I would never date Conrad."

I sat up, "I was talking about Jeremiah. The fact that you didn't mention him is a little concerning combined with the fact that he slapped your ass before dinner."

"You slapped my ass before dinner," he added.

I looked between him and Mom, "First, shhhhhhh my mother is here. Second, I am your girlfriend. I am allowed."

He put his hands in the air, "I love you. I will not date anyone else ever...not one of your brothers. I'm not going to hop between siblings. I'm not you-know-who."