Surprise After Surprise

Finals week for college was hell. Cameron and I had the agreement that if he didn't hear from me, it was because I was eaten by the stacks of papers overtaking my desk so he should just move on because there was no saving me.

To make matters a million and one times worse Conrad disappeared. I hadn't heard from him in a while but I assumed he was cramming and ghosting just like I was. I was clearly wrong because I learned that he had run away to Cousins.

Jeremiah and I drove separately so we could cover more places at once. Belly went with him, I hadn't heard from her since the funeral and knew that this was the last thing we needed. Things have been so messy with her. Everything that has to do with Isabel Conklin and my brothers is messy.

When I walked into the house I was greeted by Conrad telling me that the house was for sale. Apparently, Mom and her half-sister, Julia shared the house. She had left the house 'to me' because she figured Aunt Julia wouldn't want it. She was right about Julia not wanting the house, but she did want the money that would come out of selling the house.

***
Belly has actually been incredibly helpful and kind the last few days. Walking on the boardwalk with the summer crew...plus Skye and Taylor, felt like things were back to normal.

We played laser tag and even though Team Emilia lost it was amazing. We got to the rock wall where Steven and Taylor were going to compete against each other. Steven started climbing up without his harness and a much too familiar voice told him to stop.

I had been in Cousins for over twenty-four hours without telling my boyfriend that I was less than ten minutes away from his house.

"Hey," I whispered laughing nervously.

"Emilia...what the?" He dropped the harness and ran over to me, wrapping me in the best hug known to man.

I took a deep breath and felt part of the weight in my body drift away at the mixture of his comforting scent and him supporting my body.

All of the panic and tears I had been hiding begged to come out but I hid them for the sake of today being a fun day. I looked up at him and kissed him softly. "I have so much to tell you, but right now do you want to help us with some games?"

"Of course," he whispered, placing another soft kiss on my lips.

He made his way to my brothers, giving them hugs and briefly catching up. He talked to Steven for a little while, Belly for even less time, and introduced himself to Skye.

As we went through the games on the boardwalk, Cameron had far too much fun acting as a sports announcer for each event. I laughed at him, smiling bigger than I had in months, and remembering over and over again why I fell in love with him so quickly.

Cameron is the boy who will hold my hand to each game but outwardly cheer against me and for my brothers. That proves that he fits into our family perfectly.

"While you guys do all of your candy shopping and Tower of Terror-ing Cameron and I are going to ride the Ferris wheel while the sun sets," I told everyone.

"Don't make out up there. I'm watching you, Cam Cameron," Conrad warned.

Cameron took my hand and walked me to get in line. "Is there a reason you didn't tell me you were here?" He asked.

I shook my head as we walked onto the ride and sat next to each other, "Yes and no. It wasn't because I didn't want you to know, it was honestly because until today this didn't feel like Cousins. I didn't even think about texting you until like twenty minutes before I saw you. I'm so sorry."

He tilted up my chin and kissed me softly, "There's no need to be sorry. I was just wondering. You've had a lot going on."

I nodded, "My aunt is selling the house. Today's open house fell through but it's only a matter of time. It's a mess. Everything is such a mess. And I..." I shook my head to avoid finishing my sentence.

Cameron is always there for me and I'm never there for him. The only things I've helped him through were panic attacks about his senior year in school and baseball. Not giant things like houses being sold and parents dying.

"And you what?" He asked. "What do you need? Communicate with me, Emilia. Please."

I took a deep breath, "I need to curl up in a hall with you and just tell you everything. And I need you to be your perfect self. And I'm sorry I ask so much from you."

He put his hand on my face, "You don't ask too much from me, ever. If it was too much for me I wouldn't do it. I would love to hold you, I would love to hear everything, I would love to play with your hair and kiss your head and do literally whatever you need Em. You do so much for me and everyone. Take it back for once."

When we got off the ride I pretended like our conversation never happened. Cameron was coming back to the house with us, we would all watch movies, then Cameron and I would get to snuggle in my bed and it would all be somewhat okay.

In my fucking dreams, because in what world would my life be okay.

When we walked into the house it was empty. The walks were bare, the cabinets were empty, and everything was gone. Every trace of mom. Every personal touch she added had been stolen from us. The very last thing that Mom had created was gone.

"Fuck!" I yelled, louder than I ever have.