F O U R

Genevieve

THE DOCTORS STITCH THE GIANT GASH BY MY TEMPLE, PRESCRIBE SOME PAINKILLERS, AND send me on my way within three days.

I'm a little nervous. When I first mentioned the plan, Elijah told us that we should initiate the first phase as soon as I'm home. "The sooner we send you there, the sooner you can come back," he said. I know he isn't wrong but my stomach still turns. Maybe I should have thought this a little more through before offering myself up like fresh meat...

"What is this about?" Dad's voice cuts through my thoughts. The family is seated at the dining table with the children sitting on one side and the parents on the other. "I don't get many days off and don't want to spend it at another table."

"Genevieve came up with an idea that could make finding the killer easier for everyone," Eli states and turns to me. Everyone else's eyes do the same and a lake of sweat starts building up in my armpits. Well, shit. Here we go.

"I want to spy on the Seven Deadly Sins," I tell my parents.

"Oh, dear heavens," Mom gasps.

"Fuck that," Dad growls, glaring at me. "You are staying here where I can keep an eye on you and that's final."

"Dad, this could prove if any of the Seven Deadly Sins really are guilty of the murders," Stefan argues which helps take the attention off of me. "We know it's dangerous but you can send me or Eli down a couple of times a month to check up on her and make sure she's OK. It'll give you time to put all of your focus on the search parties and finding this guy instead of being concerned over Genna's safety."

I roll my eyes when I hear that. Like this man would ever be concerned over my safety—I'm the family pariah.

"It'll only be until the New Years' party," I add. "If the cases slow down then it means it is one of the Seven Deadly Sins."

"And if they don't?" Mom questions, clutching her necklace.

This time, I don't look Dad in the eyes when I speak. I can't. "It might be someone on our side."

Dad snaps, "Like hell. No Elgantis citizen would terrorize the city like this."

"Yeah, because you know every single person so well?" I bite back. "Dad, you're so close-minded that you can't see that this might be a set-up. If I'm right—if the Seven Deadly Sins really are innocent—then the only person that will look like the fool is you."

The room becomes dead silent. Oh, boy, I must have some pretty big balls to say that to him. I can tell Dad wants to jump across the table at me, too. Every time he's on the verge of raging, his eye starts to twitch and his knuckles become so white he makes himself bleed. Thankfully, we're with family, so all we do is have a glare-down.

"She's right, honey," Mom speaks up and rests her hand on her husband's arm to get his attention. "With so many people looking to you for the answers, it's important to have an open mind to any possibility no matter its logic."

My father considers Mom's words. He has always been a better listener when she speaks my ideas instead of me. When Dad sighs and grabs my mother's hand, I know she's got him.

"It's only a couple of months," she continues and smiles up at him. "Please, Collin. I lost one daughter—I don't want to lose another."

I flinch at Mom's words and Stefan gives me a concerned look. I smile and mouth "I'm OK" and wait until he looks away before letting it slip.

It's been a year but it pains me to know that my family looks up to my father even after what he did to my sister. They don't know the real reason she was exiled or why. They don't know that her own father was the one who sold her out, either. However, I'm scared that if I ever told them—or even tried to—about Delilah, Dad would have his security team on my ass and thrown over the walls in a heartbeat.