E I G H T

Genevieve

JULIANA'S PLACE I NOTHING LIKE I EXPECTED IT TO BE. I thought because she's the sin of envy she would have a giant estate like Silas, so when she pulled up in front of a tall apartment building downtown, it took every nerve in my face to hide my shock. Though, from what she's told me throughout dinner, each sin has a district that they are in charge of (with—surprise, surprise—the sin of greed having two) so Juliana probably has her own place back at hers.

If this goes as planned and I'm right about them, I won't have to say goodbye to her and I can visit more often.

Who are you kidding, Genevieve? Your father's crazy.

I wish he was the same father I had as a kid but instead, I'm on the run from a killer, tipsy, and hanging out with the sin of envy.

"You're supposed to help me find a dress," I call to Juliana from her bed, surrounded by all types of skirts and dresses and shoes. "Some help you are!"

Jules chuckles. "Just pick something that will show a bit of this and that, Gen. It's not that difficult."

"Shut up. You go clubbing every other week."

"I told you that in confidence. Don't throw it in my face." I grin at the fake waver in her voice and sit up. "What's your favourite colour?"

"Blue."

"Then wear something blue. Short. Anyone who goes clubbing in a long dress or pants isn't looking for a fun time—oh! My brother's dropping us off, too. He's needed a distraction."

Brother? She must be talking about the sin of greed—they do look almost identical. "Do you mean Dominik Aventinus?" I ask anyway.

"Yup. A real pain in the ass. I'm only asking to bring him along because he's having girl troubles and I want to get him drunk enough to tell me about it. That bastard doesn't tell me anything about his personal life."

I grin. "You do like to gossip so I can't blame him."

She waves me off. "I only gossip when it's about something significant. I'll get an answer out of him. We need to find you something to wear."

Almost an hour later, I'm getting forced into a glittering baby blue mini dress with thin spaghetti straps and white stilettos that I can barely walk in. I make sure my makeup matches my colours while Jules does my hair.

"I'm nervous," I admit once she's finished.

"Don't be. The clubs here are well-protected and have the finest booze in the region," she explains, grabbing her purse and a jacket for each of us right as there's a series of knocks on her penthouse doors. "That's Dom. Keep in mind that he's the sin of greed so he might be a bit... you know, greedy."

Great. First, I have to deal with Silas's arrogance and hot-and-cold behaviour and now I have to deal with the sin of greed.

"He's nothing compared to what I'm going to have to deal with staying with Silas," I mutter, following her to the front while trying my best to not fall flat on my face.

I'll knock his teeth out if he tries anything.

Juliana opens the door and reveals Dominik dressed in a simple button-up and slacks, both hands shoved in each pocket. His hair is dishevelled and messy and suits him well, but his eyes show that it was done in a moment of distress.

"You dress awfully for clubs," she scoffs. "Do I need to start dressing you, too? Picking out your wardrobe? Because it seems like you need it."

"Knock it off," Dominik mutters and steps into the room. He catches sight of me waiting by the couch and his lips curve at the corners into a smirk. "You must be the one I heard giving Silas shit yesterday. Genevieve, right?"