S E V E N

Genevieve

I SLEEP BETTER THAN I HAVE IN YEARS.

Despite how the night ended with me and Silas, I had a shower without worrying about having to wake up early, explored parts of the floor that my room is on, and fell asleep watching cartoons for the first time since I was a girl. And now, waking up passed the usual time I'd be getting ready, I feel more refreshed than ever.

I check my phone and find a bunch of texts from my family, a few from Amari, and a single text from Juliana. I open Amari's first.

Amari: I'm so sorry Genna

Amari: I've been so stressed lately dealing with my mom. I didn't mean to take it out on you

Amari: please call me

I don't have it in me to answer her just yet. I understand where Amari was coming from at that moment but that doesn't mean the things she said don't hurt. I've never once done anything to make her think that I'd try to take advantage of her financial situation, yet that is the first thing she jumped to when I offered her my help. 

I can see why she assumed my father would try to get the money back.

Not me.

I go through the messages from my family. Most of them are from Stefan telling me about every annoying thing Dad does and it brings a smile to my face at some of the nicknames he's given him: ass-turd, dickface, the king of bitching.

My brother's quite the poet, isn't he?

Even though it pains me to know Dad has moved on to my brother now that I'm gone, he still finds a way to crack jokes with me about him even being hundreds of miles away. I feel like he's right next to me, telling me everything in person and not over a screen.

The last couple of texts is from Mom asking how I'm doing and if people are being nice.

I answer their texts before opening my last one from Juliana.

Juliana: I'll be there in 20

I glance at the time. 10:30.

Shit!

I throw myself out of bed and zip around the room, throwing open dressers and nearly ripping my closet off its hinges. I can't believe it. My first day sleeping in and I almost sleep through my plans with Juliana.

It takes me ten minutes to find a worthy outfit—a light grey sweater my mother knitted, a pair of black leggings and a pair of darker grey booties—and by the time I get the message that Jules is here, I'm just finishing my makeup. I rush out of my bedroom while I'm putting my earrings in, gasping when I run into a wall.

Except it's not a wall. It's a chest.

And that chest belongs to Silas Aventinus.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"Good morning to you, too," I mutter back, trying to move around him and failing when he gets in my way. "Move, Silas."

"Where are you going?" He repeats.

"Last time I checked, that's none of your business."

"It is when I'm supposed to be protecting you."

"You're not my babysitter, remember?"

"I am now. If you don't tell me where you're going, I'm locking you in the bedroom until I get back."

I scoff and cross my arms. Silas's eyes stay narrowed dangerously, daring me to defy him. I may not like him but I can't deny that the way he looks at me is intimidating.