S I X

Genevieve

IT ISN'T UNTIL I LOCK THE DOOR TO MY NEW ROOM WHEN I FINALLY BREATHE. Blood rushes to my ears and cheeks from how angry I am. Since he's the sin of wrath I was prepared for Silas to be bitter and cold when I arrived, not an asshole who has no idea what personal space is. I'm already regretting this—

No. I've already made my choice. Going through with this entire plan was my only chance to find out more about the serial killer (and what made them target The Chosen) and can finally have some freedom outside of Dad's insufferable helicopter parenting. I have time to myself for a change, and I want to take full advantage of these two months while I can. I can't turn back from a plan that has already been laid out.

I close my eyes and let in a deep breath, then exhale. After I feel like I've calmed down from whatever the hell just happened downstairs, I look around the room I'll be staying in these next two months.

I was expecting modern-day art and furniture but the furniture looks like it was made during the Victorian era. Each wall is painted deep purple and the one to my right has three tall floor-to-ceiling windows with dark trimming that gives me a view of the entire front lawn. The trimming around the windows matches the wooden legs on the bed frame that sits on the opposite side of the room; two windows are on either side of it with two espresso-coloured wood nightstands to match the bed set. In the centre of the room are a matching light grey sofa and armchair that stand in front of a stone brick fireplace; above its mantle is a painting of a man with silver-grey hair and glowing red eyes.

He resembles several of Silas's facial features—his nose and mouth shape, the sharpness of his jaw and high cheekbones—and has the end of three leashes wrapped around his hand, each attached to three huge dogs that stand at the man's hips. Like his suit, the dogs are black as night and have icy blue eyes that look like they are glowing. They look like giant pit bulls with a dash of steroids.

It takes me longer than I'd like to unpack. My family looked at me weirdly when they saw how many bags I would be bringing with me, and I am only supposed to be here for a couple of months, but a girl always has to feel prepared. And if I'm going to be out of work until the new year, I'll have to budget how much money I spend on myself.

This sucks more than I anticipated it to.

Right as I put away the last few pairs of jeans I packed, my phone shrills to life. Amari's glowing face and giant round glasses light up on my screen and seeing her face brings a smile to mine.

"I can't believe you're in Southern Tria!" She exclaims as soon as I answer her call.

I chuckle quietly, walking to one of the giant windows. "Neither can I," I agree as I stare out of one. "It's nothing like the rumours, either. It's so... bright."

"Bright?"

"Yeah. Like, more vibrant with colour. There is a lot of nature than I thought there'd be. Did you know that they still have cobblestone streets?" Her soft laughter comes from her side of the phone and it doesn't take long for my smile to morph into a frown. "I wish I could have brought you along."

"So do I," Amari says. "I'll try to visit when I can."

I shake my head and look down at the garden and its bushes, lying by the front steps. "No. It's best to keep my distance from you and my family until the killer's been caught. Besides, you might blow my cover."

She chuckles but it doesn't sound entirely genuine. "Yeah..."

"So, do you want to continue our talk from earlier?" I ask. "Don't think I've forgotten."