.3 - 𝓼𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓽 𝓳𝓾𝓭𝓮

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(saint jude)

𝐉udith's feelings towards balls and parties never altered throughout her early life in adulthood. She still had yet to learn how to master them, especially the ones in Europe as they differed greatly so from those she had attended in Massachusetts. Amy had planned it out in her mind for this to be Judith's night of fun. She wanted her to indulge in the beautiful chaos of the ball and hopefully set eyes on a worthy partner. So she aided her in fitting into the most beautiful red silk dress and curled her hair into loose twists. Amy wished it upon her to experience the same overbearing joy and love she felt with Fred. She supposed that it was exactly what Judith needed, especially with the looming sadness that had taken over the brunette since arriving in France.

So for Amy's sake, Judith broke her usual routine of solitude and accepted most of the hands pleading for her own. She let herself get twirled around the room and conversed in silly conversations. She wouldn't say she hated it but she also wouldn't say she particularly enjoyed it either. 

"Judith is a lovely name." Amy's friend and Judith's current dance partner, James, said. His voice was rich with an accent she once bore in her early childhood. She forced a smile on her face at the praise and fought the urge to turn away as he stared intently into her eyes. "You are too kind." She spoke in response. "Amy has told me much of you and she was not wrong when she said your beauty is like none other."

Judith forced a chuckle, hoping her discomfort didn't show through it. It wasn't that James was a bad man. He was a pleasure to talk to and kept her company well. Normally she would admire such praises and take them with genuine smiles but she wasn't in her usual mind; particularly because of the disappointment hanging through the air. Amy was good at hiding it. She played the perfect host, indulging in all conversations and dancing her heart away. She came off as charming to everyone there but Judith could see through her facade. She could see the disappointment weighing in her irises and the glances at the entrances every few minutes. 

Theodore had abandoned his promise. She had waited an hour for the boy, telling Judith she could arrive at the ball early just to keep away from him. But he never showed and Amy found herself late to Fred's festivities. He had forged a bad impression of not only himself, but her as well. 

"You flatter me, James," Judith spoke, putting more effort into her smile. "I've never met a man so loose-lipped with praises."

James, seemingly pleased with her response, smiled. "They must have been forking their tongues. You truly are the most beautiful woman I ever saw, Judith."