.24 - 𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓾𝓶𝓫𝓻𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(under the umbrella)

𝐓he laughter that rang from Judith sent a smile to old Mr. Laurence's face as the two stepped through the door of the March household for dinner that night. It was a tradition they had picked up since the passing of Beth where they would spend most of their meals together as one big family in her memory. Mr. Laurence patted her arm that was linked with his as Theodore closed the door behind them. "Do please tell me more stories of your adventures with my grandson in Europe." He insisted with a wide grin. "It brings me quite a joy in hearing how someone was finally able to level him out. I had been trying for many years, you know." It was Judith's turn to laugh as she looked over her shoulder to her husband who was shaking his head with a heavy sigh. 

"Oh, Jo." Judith softly scolded as she took in the sight of the bread loaf already dug into. "Couldn't wait for anyone else I-" Her words died on her tongue at the shock of a new body in the room. "Oh." The man was one she had never seen before. His curly hair had been parted to the side and glasses rested on the bridge of his nose. He looked highly educated in the way he presented himself. Judith fixed her surprised stare as she turned her lips up in a pleasant smile. "Hello."

Theodore took his place beside Judith, a look of confusion pulling his brows together as he stared at the new man. "Who's this?" He inquired as he looked to Jo, though his impatience for an answer led him to quickly look back to the newcomer and ask again, "Who are you?"

"I'm so sorry to intrude. I was close by and thought I'd..." Meg and Amy entered the room, their husbands behind them, as the man began to explain himself. Their confusion was just as evident as Judith's and Theodore's as they looked to the two for some kind of explanation. But they had none to give, for Theodore's question remained unanswered by both Jo and her mystery man. "But I'll be going."

"No, no!" Amy quickly spoke up. Her eyes darted between the smile on Jo's lips and the man. She didn't know who this person was but she could see the joy he brought Jo and that alone was enough for her to like him. "Please stay. We have more than enough room." She insisted happily. 

"Will someone please tell me who this man is?" Theodore quietly muttered in irritation.

Judith rolled her eyes as she pulled her arm free of Mr. Laurence's to place her hand on Theodore's back, her other pressing against his arm as she shushed him. "Quiet, Theodore." She scolded with a pointed look. 

The man looked around at everyone as he fiddled with his tophat in his hand, "I don't wish to be a burden."

"Oh, you're not a burden at all," Meg reassured as Jo frantically shook her head.