.10 - 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the curse)

𝐉udith sat on the parlor of the house she once laid claim to so long ago. The colors of the sun's closing descent painted the soft gray walls of the house, casting in through the grand window that covered nearly the entire wall. Aunt March had seen it as a brilliant idea to inhabit its lonesome halls for the rest of the duration of their stay in France. The choice was made with a heart free of corruption to allow Judith a few final hours to reminisce in her childhood and the memory of her parents, but its lasting effects lingered heavily on her heart. Being in these halls again only seemed to increase the ache in the organ. She had deliberately avoided any trace of her past since their arrival in the country. Her mother's and father's graves were left bare of any flowers or love from her. She didn't know if she had the stomach to handle viewing them. It was one thing to say her parents were dead but to actually see it was another. She was free of that in Massachusetts, but here no amount of walls built could protect her. 

She sat before the grand piano her mother once loved so, her finger tracing gently over the smooth wood running over the scratchy disruption where a small heart had been carved into it, the letters J and V inside of it. Despite the time that has passed and the acceptance she finally felt toward it all, her efforts were futile to stop the tears that welled in her eyes. 

"You worry me, Judith," The scratchy voice of her Aunt startled the girl out of her daze. She sucked in a breath and blinked rapidly in an attempt to compose herself before turning to face the older woman as she stepped into the room. 

"How so, Aunt March?" She inquired, her brows pulling together in confusion. 

"I'm beginning to question if you'll ever marry." Judith fought the urge to scoff and roll her eyes, knowing her aunt would disapprove of such behavior. She was fully aware of the real reason her Aunt dragged her across Europe. She masked it with the ruse of allowing her to visit her home once more but her real intentions were to find her a husband. "You've never taken lightly to the suitors I presented you and now you won't give any boy a chance."

"That's not true, Aunt March. I did care for the suitors-" Her voice dropped into silence as Aunt March sat on the wooden stool beside her, a pointed look molded to her face.

"You naive girl, did you really think I was blind to your visits with the Laurence boy?" Judith's head hung at having been caught, even if it was years later. "I played ignorant because I saw the way you interacted with him. I had hope then but my hope has been long dwindling."

"Theodore means nothing to me, Aunt March," Judith spoke quietly, her voice barely a whisper to hide the pain residing in it. "I once thought that untrue, but as you say I was naive. I'm not anymore."