.16 - 𝓪 𝓽𝓮𝓵𝓮𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓶

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(a telegram)
~ 𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝔂𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓼 𝓹𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓻 ~

𝐓he air in the March household was frantic as everyone ran about, quick in trying to help Marmee pack up in time to make the last train to Washington. A telegram had come in around an hour ago delivering the horrible news to the March family that their father had been injured in combat. They could do nothing but fear the worst as Marmee had no choice but to leave her children behind and aid her husband. "Are Jo and Jude back yet from Aunt March?" Marmee asked no one in particular as she rushed to put perishables into her trunks for the long ride. 

"No, I haven't seen them yet," Amy answered as she walked past her mother into the kitchen.

"You want another pair of shoes?" Hannah asked as she help out a pair of boots for Marmee to stuff into the suitcase.

"Thank you." She gratefully took them from the elder lady with a smile despite the worry controlling her heart. Despite how badly she wanted to break down, she couldn't do it in front of the children. "I can't miss the last train." She muttered to herself as she moved to walk off to find the next item she needed. "Oh Hannah, did you pack father's nightshirts?"

"Yes I did," Hannah called to her as Marmee rushed to the door to greet Laurie who had just walked in with Beth wrapped around his arms. He did his best to comfort her, but the overpowering fear and worry in the house were quickly invading his own senses and setting him over the edge as well. "Thank you so much for being here," Marmee spoke gratefully as she engulfed the boy in a hug. He kissed her cheek before returning the gesture, "Of course."

"If I may be of any more assistance, please tell me." Mr. Laurence said as he stepped into the room behind Beth and Laurie. He handed Marmee a small wrapped box before she wrapped her arm around him. "I'll look in on the girls every day without fail." He reassured with a soft and sympathetic smile.

A small sigh of relief emitted from Marmee as she stared appreciatively at the man, "Thank you for everything." 

Mr. Laurence nodded earnestly, "I've always admired your husband. I pray for a quick recovery."

Marmee stood before her children as she finished stuffing the last of her things into the trunk. "Alright, while I'm gone, Hannah is in charge." She lifted her things, preparing to make her way for the door when she remembered to say, "Remember to check on the Hummels. It will be a difficult winter for everyone."

"Don't leave yet! Marmee don't leave, we're back!" Jude hollared as she rushed into the house, Jo hot on her trail. Everyone turned to face the two girls as they ran to the elder woman, money in both of their hands extended out toward her. "Will this be enough for the train?"

Marmee's eyes widened in shock as she took the money into her hands, counting it in disbelief. "Forty dollars?" She asked, tears beginning to line her eyes as she looked back up at the two. "That's not like Aunt March to be so generous."

The two girls turned to one another with knowing looks before saying, "We didn't go to Aunt March, couldn't bear to." This only made Marmee's confusion grow as she looked between the two of them. "Where'd you get the money?" She asked them.

"I only sold what was my own," Jo said as she removed the hat covering her head to reveal her poorly chopped hair. She and Jude had worked tirelessly to cut it as fast as possible while trying to make it look semi-presentable in their small amount of time. Shocked gasps echoed throughout the room and Amy clung to Beth as though to keep from falling over. Laurie and Mr. Brooke shared a smile at the dismay in the room. "Jo! Your hair!" Beth exclaimed. "You're one beauty!" Amy whined as Meg's face turned sour in mourning. "You look like a boy." Hannah couldn't help but say in her shock.

Jo, suddenly insecure about her appearance, reached up to touch the short blunt locks. "Well it doesn't affect the fate of the nation, so don't wail." She nervously defended herself, fighting to not show her discomfort at what she had done. 

Everyone looked to Jude next as though suspecting to see the same from her. "Aunt March would have my head if she discovered I'd chopped my hair so I give to you all my earnings, Marmee." She said proudly.

Marmee smiled as she pulled Jo into a hug, leaving Jude to rush over to the other March siblings who held their arms open for her. Her smile only grew as she fit into their arms, Meg kissing her cheek as Hannah patted her head in approval. "Thank goodness you didn't ruin your hair too." Amy gushed as she grabbed the ends of Jude's hair and ran the strands through her fingers.  The three siblings, and Hannah, all continued to gaze upon Jo in both shock and horror. "It could be nice," Meg tried to reason, though there was nothing that could be done to style Jo's hair that would make it look good again. Not until it grew back to its former length. "Don't you ever do that," Amy told Beth. 

Marmee approached them, pulling them all into one final big hug before her departure. "Girls I love you all more than words can say. Be good to each other and pray for Father's recovery. I will come back as soon as I can."

No one could have predicted the horrors that came next.