.17 - 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓶 𝓫𝓮𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓶

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the calm before the storm)
~ 𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝔂𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓼 𝓹𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓻 ~

𝐉ude clapped happily as she took in the sight of Beth approaching the home through the window. Excitement bubbled up inside of her as she looked between the piano and the redhead. It had been a week since Marmee left for Washington and Jude had spent nearly every waking moment in the March household. She couldn't bear to be separated from the girls with the weight of their Father's injuries resting upon them and did every little thing she could to lift the burden of remembering. However, Aunt March had called her home yesterday to focus on her studies before allowing her back over again the next afternoon with the promise to come home before the sun sets. "She's here!" Jude exclaimed as she rushed back from the window so as to not look suspicious. The other March siblings all smiled brightly as they moved to step in front of the piano and block it from the view of the door. 

None seemed to take notice of the grave look on Beth's face as she stepped through the door. They were much too caught up in their excitement for her to see the slight stumble in her step or the red puffiness that had taken to her cheeks and eyes. "Beth look what they got you!" Amy yelled, unable to contain herself with the glee hammering against her heart. Jo quickly threw her hands over her sister's mouth but it was useless for Beth had already heard. 

Jude clung to Meg's arm with a delighted squeal as Beth stepped towards them, a confused look on her face. "Here's a letter from the old gentleman," Jo said as she stepped forward to hand her the paper. 

Beth pulled the letter free from its envelope, her brows furrowing in confusion as she closely read its contents. "Oh, Beth just look," Meg demanded, tired of waiting for the reaction they all knew would be grand. The four all stepped away from the piano, revealing it to the youngest March. Her eyes grew twice their size, the note rising to cover her dropped mouth as she stared at the instrument in awe. "Jo, read the letter. I cannot." Beth said breathlessly as she walked up to touch the piano. She placed her hand in Amy's the other going up to hide her smile as they all crowded around her. 

"Miss Beth March, I have had many pairs of slippers in my life, but I never had any that suited me so well as yours, and they will always remind me of the gentle giver. I like to pay my debts and hope you will accept this gift. Your grateful friend and humble servant, James Laurence."

"Oh, Beth!" Jude exclaimed as she wrapped her arms tightly around the girl. "That's so sweet." 

"It has gold that goes all the way around the piano." Amy gushed at the sight of the instrument as Meg clapped happily. "It's got a little drawer over here."

Jude felt Beth stumble back into her, causing her gaze to switch from the piano to her. She took quick notice of the absence of her former glee, her smile slowly turning to a frown. Worry began to encompass Jude's heart as she asked, "Do you like it, Beth?" She inquired.