Chapter 2: Contract

She took in a shaky breath, struggling to open her eyes. She was warm. Far warmer than she had been before. After a moment of struggle, she finally managed to get her eyes open. The first thing she noticed was the canopy above her head, stuffed nose and scratchy throat. Carefully, she sat up, the duvet falling from her chest and onto her lap. She wasn't completely sure where she was. The last thing she remembered was barely spotting the outline of Castle Dimitrescu.

Looking around, she notice the roaring fire near by, comfortable yet expensive looking chairs set near a desk with books, papers and pens littering the top of it. There was a wardrobe nearby along with three doors.

Carefully, she set the duvet aside, letting her legs dangle off the edge for a moment. There were bandages wrapped around her feet with a bit of dried blood on it. She sucked in a breath as soon as she stepped onto the floor. Pain shot through her feet and up her wobbling legs.

One of the door opened and her head immediately snapped in the direction of it. A woman with neat, dirty blonde hair tied in a bun. She was wearing a maid uniform along with some bandages and a set of clothes and a fluffy looking towel. The woman spotted her and her dull gray eyes seemed to light up.

''Oh good, you're awake. Please, sit down and allow me to change your bandages.'' she said, gesturing to one of the expensive looking chairs. She hesitate for a moment before sitting down.

The woman with gray eyes set the clothes and towel down on the large bed she had woken up in. Afterwards, the maid moved to her and kneed down and began to unravel the bandages. The woman just looked off to the side, feeling slightly embarrassed.

''Am I in Castle Dimitrescu?'' she asked.

The woman glanced up at her before replying. ''Yes. You've been here for a while. About a day and a half to be exact, but you've been asleep for quite some time.''

''I see.'' she muttered. Before she could allow silence to fall between them, she spoke again. ''What's your name?''

''My name is Sofia. And your name?'' she said, finally removing the bandages entirely and assessing the healing process.

''Ruenheid Frostbite. Rue for short.'' she said, peeking down at her feet. The cuts along them had started to scab and was red along the edges.

Before Sofia could say anything, the door to the bedroom opened once more. The blonde turned to the door while Rue just stared in awe. The woman was tall. Far taller than anyone she had ever met in her life. She wore a large brimmed hat along with a flowing white gown with three black roses placed near her heart. Her skin was pale, almost white. What grabbed Rue's attention the most however, was her crimson lips, curled black hair and golden eyes.

''Hello, Lady Dimitrescu.'' Sofia said, bowing her head before turning back to Rue.

''How is our guest, Sofia?'' the woman said. Her voice was deep, feminine and noble. It caused her heart to leap.

''Her recovery is coming along well. Her wounds should completely heal within a few days.'' she said before reaching some bandages she had set to the side. Before she could reach it however, Lady Dimitrescu plucked the bandages from it's spot.

''Thank you, Sofia. You may be excused. Get some food and rest.'' she said sternly. The blonde nodded, getting up and leaving the two women by themselves. The tall woman took a seat across from the girl before speaking. ''What is your name?''

Rue's cheeks flushed for a moment before she spoke. ''Ruenheid Frostbite. But just Rue is alright.''

The tall woman quirked an eyebrow at her before moving towards her, pressing her red lips against Rue's forehead. She felt dizzy as the smell of jasmine and tobacco flooded her senses and the feeling of her warm lips. The woman hummed before pulling away.