Chapter 21: Bet

Daniela hung upside down, holding a new book in her hand that Bela had bought her. Speaking of Bela, she was sitting at the piano, playing one of her favourite pieces while Cassandra was drawing something in the sketchbook that their mother had bought her about a month ago. She was curious about what Cassandra drew in her sketchbook before remembering the night she had attempted to sneak a peek inside the book. That resulted in Cassandra chasing her throughout the Castle and waking their mother, which ended with both of them to get grounded by their mother for a few days.

Daniela closed her book, setting it down on the couch she had been laying on. At that point, Bela had finished playing and glanced over at her youngest sister. ''You know, you shouldn't hang upside down like that. You might fall and hit your head.''

''Eh, let her. She might get smarter if she hits her head hard enough.'' Cassandra said with a smirk, not looking up from her sketchbook.

Daniela frowned before laying on her stomach and glaring at her sister. ''Don't worry, if I do hit my head I'll smack you with a book, maybe you'll absorbed some knowledge.''

The middle child finally looked up from her sketchbook. ''Knowledge about what? Cheesy romance novels or are you starting to read sapphic erotica like mother?'' Cassandra laughed at the expression on her sisters face as Bela accidently pressed two piano keys at once. 

''Ew ew EWWWW!'' Daniela shouted, covering her ears and closing her eyes. ''I didn't need do know what mother reads!''

''Okay okay, that's enough of that you two.'' Bela said, getting up from her spot at the piano and sitting on one of the arms of a chair. ''Why don't we talk about something else?''

''Good idea! Topic?'' Daniela said looking up at her oldest sister.

''Dina.'' Cassandra smirked before bursting out in another fit of laughter when she saw just how bright Daniela's cheeks burned. Even Bela started laughing when the girl buried her face in a red throw pillow that was almost the same shade as her cheeks. Their laughter started to die down when the door of the Opera Hall opened to reveal Dina with a try of tea for them.

Dina greeted each of them but stopped at Daniela when she saw her red face. ''Oh, Lady Daniela, your face is so red. Are you feeling well?''

''Y-Y-Yeah! Of c-course I am!'' the girl said nervously, rubbing the back of her neck and looking over at her sister in hopes that they would help her. However, they seemed absorbed in their own conversation while sipping at their tea.

''In any case, do I have you consent to check you temperature anyway?'' the copper haired maid said with obvious concern, setting the tray down and sitting next to her. Daniela merely nodded and Dina leaned forward, pressing her lips against her forehead as she held her face in her hands. This only caused the youngest Dimitrescu's cheeks to burn even hotter and her face got redder. Her heart was hammering against her chest so hard she had half a mind to burst into a swarm of flies in order to calm down. But she just gripped onto her black cloak as Dina pulled away. ''Hmm, you're a bit warm. Would you like me to make you something?''

''No no, I'll be alright! Th-Thank you for o-offering though!'' she smiled, trying not to show her fangs as she did. 

Dina smiled at her. ''Alright then, just call for me if you need anything. Oh, but before I leave, how did you like the book I recommended?''

''O-Oh, I loved it.'' Daniela said, her heart fluttering.

''That's good to hear. If I find another book I think you'll like, I'll send it your way.''  With a wink, Dina left the Opera Hall. As soon as she did, Daniela just kept staring at the door while she heard her sisters snickering. The redhead looked over at her sisters who both wore teasing smiles.

''So, how is your first major gay panic going?'' Cassandra smirked.

''I'MNOTGAYPANICKING!SHE'SJUSTREALLYPRETTY!'' she shouted, pulling a pillow into her face. Cassandra and Bela just started laughing. The redhead looked up with a scowl as her sister continued to laugh until they were teary-eyed.

''Aww, our baby sister is finally gonna get a girlfriend. I thought you were gonna die alone.'' Cassandra said, wiping away a tear of laughter.

''Oh says you! Your love life is non-existent!'' Daniela shouted before noticing the look in Bela's eyes when talking about love. She had completely forgot she was still going through the aftermath of a break-up. She was so use to Bela being in a relationship that it felt foreign knowing that she was now single and not contributing to the conversation. ''Oh, sorry Bee.''

''It's fine. I'm over it.'' the oldest shrugged, leaning back comfortably. ''Speaking of love life, what about mother?''

Cassandra audibly groaned while Daniela looked excited. ''100 lei says mother courts her!''

''Nah, I'll take that bet.'' Cassandra said, looking unamused.

''I don't think you can deny that mother has taken a liking to Rue.'' Bela said, crossing her arms.

''Well duh, that's because they're fucking.'' the girl said while Daniela's face flushed red. The blonde stood, going to her youngest sister a cupping her face in a way a sibling would when trying to make an exaggerated point.

''Come now, don't say that while little Dai's virgin ears are in the room.'' she said in a sickeningly sweat tone.

Daniela lightly smacked her hands away. ''Knock it off, Bee!''

''Where is mother anyway? Shouldn't she be back from her meeting by now?'' Cassandra asked as she glanced at the clock curiously.

''Now that you mention it, yeah, she should.'' 

''Maybe we should go look for her. Maybe she'll read to us if she we ask.'' Daniela smiled happily. She heard Bela mutter something about Daniela having a one-track mind but she elected to ignore it.

The three of the burst into a swarm of flies, flying past maids who were busy cleaning the halls. They stopped a little ways away from their entrance to their mother's chambers. Each of them sent a single fly under the door before resting in one of the corners. They could see their Rue resting on Alcina's lap as they watched the falling snow from out the window. The both looked so relaxed. The two women were talking about something but neither of the three flies could hear what they were saying.

Daniela moved her fly as close as she could catch what her mother said. ''Red suits you, my dear.'' 

Rue looked up at the woman before pressing her fingers against her lips. That's when the three daughters noticed their mother's smudged red lipstick. Usually, she'd fix it right away before since her makeup always had o be perfect for her. Even with her previous partners, she'd fix her makeup whenever it was get messed up. But now, she didn't make Rue move and just kept her close.

''Oh, Alcina, I apolog-'' Rue was cut off with a kiss.

''No need to apologize, my dear.'' the Countess said, caressing her face before gesturing to the window. ''Relax for a bit.''

The flies on the walls made their way out of the room and going back to their respective place with the daughters. Daniela crossed her arms with a smug smile as she looked over at Cassandra. ''Still wanna take my bet?''

''Did I hear you say bet?'' the three turned to see nonother than Sofia. Her posture was relaxed and a slight smile tugged at the corner of her lips. ''What are you betting on?''

''On whether or not mother will court Rue.'' Bela answered.

''Room for another bet? 500 lei says they get together within a month.'' Sofia couldn't help but chuckle after saying that.

''Alright? Anymore bets?'' Bela asked, glancing between all the women. After a minute of silence, the blonde threw up her hand. ''Alright, betting is closed and bets cannot be taking back.''

''Now, we play the waiting game.'' Sofia said, beginning to walk down one of the hallways.

''Never like that game.'' Daniela muttered as she walked next to her sisters, going back to the Opera Hall.

''You were never good at it either.'' Cassandra laughed, bumping her elbow against the redhead's ribs.