Chapter 3: Tension

A few days had gone by since the signing of the contract. During those days, Rue had come down with a sickness. At the time, Rue assured the Countess that she'd be fine to work and even tried to start work early if the Lady of the Castle hadn't caught her. It amused Lady Dimitrescu to see how insistent Rue was to working for her but she wasn't about to let her newest maid start while sick. That would just be cruel.

Alcina was currently on her way to check on Rue. The girl had been living in her chambers for the days she had been sick. Rue had asked the Countless times if there was anything so could do for her since she had been invading her space. All Alcina told her to do was rest and get better.

The tall woman couldn't help but late a smile tug at her lips when she remembered Rue's sleeping form. She looked so innocent, like she had never experienced how cruel the world could be. After all, she did look young; possibly around her mid or late twenties. Her beautiful brown hair cured near the tips and would fall in front of her eyes when she slept. Alcina had even brushed the hair from her face more than once like she use to with... her.

By Mother Miranda, Ruenheid Frostbite reminded her of the woman she once love in so many ways. Their skin may have been different colours and their voice may have also been different, everything else brought her back to that time as was in love. It was a time before Mother Miranda had gifted her daughters. The memories of that time were both joyful and heart-breaking.

She pushed those thoughts away as she bent down and stepped into her chambers. To her surprise, although she didn't show it, Rue was out of bed and currently cleaning one of the nightstands beside the large bed. When Alcina entered the room and stood to her full height Rue turned to met her gaze, as if she felt her presence in the room.

''Hello, Lady Dimitrescu.'' she smiled, bowing her head.

''What are you doing out of bed? You should be resting.'' the Countess said, stepping towards her and lightly pressing her red lips against Rue's forehead. Her fever had gone down, but she was still warm.

''I apologize my lady, but I noticed parts of your chambers were collecting dust and grim from not being thoroughly cleaned.'' she said, her cheek flushing at the warm lips against her skin pulled away. Her heart hammered in her chest and her palm began to sweat. She couldn't remember the last time any man or woman had made her feel this nervous before.

What was it about Lady Dimitrescu that made her so nervous?

Perhaps it was of her height which made her feel like she was barely an inch tall. Or was it her red lips which were always flawlessly painted. Maybe it was the way her eyes would rake over her body, as if she were studying her every move. Rue had caught Lady Dimitrescu steal multiple glances at her over the past few days. Her eyes would travel the length of her body multiple times and would linger at her neck before looking away. Some times those moments, she'd leave the room, saying that there was something she needed tending to. But Rue wasn't sure if that was the entire truth and if it was something else. She wanted to ask but didn't want to upset her saviour and new boss.

''Ruenheid, did you hear me?'' Lady Dimitrescu pulled the girl from her thoughts.

''I apologize, I was stuck in my head.'' Rue smiled hesitantly.

''Are you feeling alright, your face is flushed.'' Lady Dimitrescu said, moving a closer to Rue. The woman stammered out that she was fine when she realized just how close Lady Dimitrescu was. The scent of jasmine and tobacco made her head spin and her heart began to beat even faster. ''Are you sure? Your heart is beating rather rapidly. I'd hate for you to be out of bed while a sickness is wreaking havoc on your body.''

Before Rue could say anything, Lady Dimitrescu scooped the woman into her arms before carrying her to the large bed. The woman was placed carefully on the soft bed all while staring up at her employer. The two of them gazed into each other eyes for a moment before Lady Dimitrescu tore her eyes away from her and turned away.

''Considering you fever has gone down quite a bit I'd say you'll be ready to start your work soon. Possibly even tomorrow.'' Lady Dimitrescu looked back at Rue and had to withhold a smile when she saw the woman's eyes light up. Despite the dangers this girl was going to face, she was still so excited. It was one of the differences she had spotted between Rue and... her.

''Thank you for your kindness, I apologize for invading your space for these past few days. I swear, I'll make it up to-'' Rue's words were silenced when the Countess took hold of chin between her thumb and forefinger. Her lips parted slightly in shock as Lady Dimitrescu gazed deeply into her eyes as if she was looking directly into her soul. Her heart began to speed up once more and a blush began to creep up her neck. Lady Dimitrescu didn't say anything at first as her gaze switched between Rue's eyes and then her lips.

Lady Dimitrescu began to lean forwards until her lips were right next to her ear. ''There is no need to apologize. You're not invading my space at all. I rather enjoy having you close.'' she whispered in a sultry tone, her lips barely brushing against her ear and causes a sharp, delicious chill to shoot down her spine.

All of a sudden, the warm of Lady Dimitrescu's body against hers' was gone and so was the the woman's sultry whispers. Rue looked at Lady Dimitrescu, her cheeks feeling as if they were on fire.

"I apologize, I forgot myself for a moment." Lady Dimitrescu said, pulling away from Rue and standing to her full height. "I will return in a few hours to check on you. Get some rest and if you can't sleep, you are welcome to help yourself to a book."

Before she could let Rue answer, she left the room.

Lady Dimitrescu took a moment to collect herself, taking is slow and steady breaths. She had to escape before the tension could swallow her whole. All she need right now was a distraction. Smoking. Work. A drink. Her daughters; anything.

Anything to get her mind away from the imagining Rue's beat red face or the sound of her racing heart when she was near.