Chapter Sixteen: Good Riddance

TW: MENTION OF MISCARRIAGE/CHILD LOSS

"What do you mean he left you?" This was the third time Yoongi asked Haru the same question, and she was about to explain again that Jean had packed his things and left for Paris.

"He packed his things and-"

"And left for Paris," He waved her off. "Yes, I got that part. Why?"

Haru shrugged and turned away from him, digging into the fridge for cold cuts and cheese. "Didn't want to be here, I suppose."

Yoongi watched her, unsure of what to say. He took his hat off in frustration and tossed it onto the counter. "Well, is he coming back?"

"Don't know." She replied in a sing-song way. A demeanor that was so calm it made Yoongi stand in disbelief with his hands on his hips, mouth opening and closing, trying to find the right words.

"What do you mean he left you?!" He repeated loudly.

"Yoongs," Haru sighed. "You're taking this a lot harder than I did."

"How else am I supposed to take the fact that he left you alone in this country?"

"I have my mom."

"That is not the same, and you know it. You've been alone all this time?"

"I'm a big girl."

"It doesn't matter! He's your husband, Haru!"

"Well, shit!" Haru slammed the fridge closed in annoyance. "I couldn't very well stop him from leaving, could I?" She threw the package of cold cuts down on the counter. "If he wanted to go, then he could go. It's fine! It wouldn't be the first time a man left me alone in this country." She gave him a pointed look, and for a moment, he figured he should just walk up to her so she could slap him with the package of cold cuts.

But she was right. She had managed before. Without him. "You're right." Yoongi lifted his hands in surrender. "You're right. It just worries me, and I don't understand why he's not worried too."

Haru's stare softened when she saw the genuine care. "It's…complicated. We haven't gotten along in a long time."

"Why?"

Even the breath she was attempting to take in didn't seem to put her at ease. "Yoongi, I really don't feel like having this conversation right now. I'm tired, starving, and want to eat something."

Yoongi wished she'd tell him how she and Jean had gotten to this estrangement. Once upon a time, they must have been suitable for one another. After all, she left Yoongi in the dust for him. But if she didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't push it. He didn't need to know why Jean left to appreciate that he was gone.

Good riddance you cocksure baguette.

But then again….he really, really wanted to know. "Okay," He took steps towards Haru and pulled the cold cuts away from her. "Okay, I'm not eating sandwiches, though. Sit down. I'll make something."

She reached for the meat to seem resistant. In reality, he didn't have to tell her twice. As someone who had been in charge of every single meal in her household for the past decade, she wouldn't argue with someone willing to cook for her instead. Yoongi pulled it away farther and she pretended to be annoyed before walking away and taking a seat at the breakfast table.