Episode 6: Flagball Royale

Tiff sat down in her desk, trying her hardest to draw Kirby. Thankfully, Kirby had agreed to be a reference. She wasn't having very good luck.

"First I draw a circle," she mumbled, "Then I dot the eyes, add a great big smile, and presto!"

Her drawing looked like a wad of chewing gum with pencil drawn on it. She slumped down, defeated. Kirby was sad that she messed up again, but also tired of standing still for her to draw. Tiff could tell that he was getting tired, so she offered a solution.

"Hold still for just a bit longer..." she said, pulling out her phone and snapping a picture, "I'll just use this picture instead, you don't have to pose like that anymore."

Kirby sighed as he lowered his nubs, walking over to see what Tiff was working on. It appeared to be a journal, with Kirby in different poses. He was curious, but then they heard a crash from the front yard. Thinking that it was some poor, possessed citizen, Kirby jumped out the window (on his second try) and ran to the source.

What he found was strange. Instead of destruction, Kirby saw Tuff, Tiff's brother, playing a game with a few cappies. They were split into teams of two, each wearing different colors. There were flags on stands, matching the red and blue colors, a yellow ball, and some kind of electronic scoreboard.

"Hey, Kirbs!" Tuff said, grabbing the ball, "Wanna play?"

"Poyo?" Kirby questioned, gesturing to everything in the front yard.

"It's called Flagball." Tuff explained, "You need to get the ball to touch the other team's flag. Whichever team succeeds 8 times first, wins."

Kirby, having a simple grasp of the rules, agreed to try it out. Since it was his first time, they did a simple 1v1 match. Kirby put on his blue jersey (it was a bit too big for him), as Tuff donned his red jersey. The two of them stood on opposing sides of the ball, flags behind them, ready to begin.

A buzzer sounded from the scoreboard, the game had begun. They both ran for the ball, but Tuff had gotten there first. Grabbing the ball, he ran back to his flag. Kirby tried to jump and grab it, but Tuff was bigger and didn't even slow down that much. He hit the ball against his flag, causing a ding sound.

"That's how the game works," Tuff elaborated, "You're also allowed to physically move the flags around the field to better your chances. Heck, you can throw your flag at the ball and it counts!"

Kirby was starting to get confused. Tuff put the ball back in position.

"Come on! The game isn't over until one of us gets 8 points!"

"Poyo!"

As the two of them continued to play, a large beetle stapled a paper to a nearby telephone pole. Tiff, who wondered where Kirby went, walked up to her school's PE coach, Bugzzy.

"What's that flier for?" She asked, knowing that it was for some form of athletic event.

The beetle replied with a surprisingly gruff voice, "It's for the upcoming Flagball Royale!"

"It's this weekend?"

"Yep, and we're still accepting sign-ups. You wanna join and get FIT?"

"Uh, no thanks. I have nerdy noodle arms and would lose in five seconds."

At this point, Kirby and Tuff got curious and walked over. When they saw the poster, Kirby jumped up and down, wanting to take part in the event. Bugzzy realized what he was excited about and handed him an application form.

"You and your teammate just need to sign here." Bugzzy explained, pointing at a dotted line on the page, "Then you just need to show up to the beach on Saturday."