Chapter 40 : Emergency call

Avengers' POV

Their conversation was cut off by the door opening suddenly. All heads turned toward it and they all saw a sweaty, out of breath Clint enter. He had his hands on his stomach and you could see blood running through his fingers. Everyone was too shocked to react. Clint spat out blood as he tried to speak.

"Y- Y/n" Clint whispered before he passed out and fell to the floor.

For a few seconds, no one moved. They were all shocked by what they had just witnessed. Then Nat rushed toward Clint.

"CLINT!" she shouted as she ran towards him. She knelt down to her friend and turned him over. Clint was unconscious and had cut his forehead open as he fell to the floor. "Shit." murmured Nat as she looked at his wounds. "He got stabbed in the abdomen." she said more to herself than to anyone else. "Someone must have broken in! Tony, Steve! Go to Y/n to make sure she's okay and to protect her in case the intruder is there for her. We don't know if there are more than one of them either. Better not to take any chances." ordered Nat.

Steve and Tony then snapped out of it and ran off. Tony giving orders to JARVIS, to keep Y/n safe in her room.

Nat's POV

What the hell happened? I hope there aren't many of them, that it's not the winter soldier... no it's not likely to be him, Clint doesn't have any traces of beatings on his body, it's someone discreet who did this to him. This person must surely be alone.

"Bruce!" I called to him to come and help me take care of Clint. He immediately joined me, knelt on the other side of Clint and placed his hands on his wound.

"We need to call Dr. Cho," he said.

"I know, we'll have to call Fury too. We have an intruder in the base." I said as I called Dr. Cho.

"Hmm" Bruce answered suspiciously. I wanted to ask him why he didn't look convinced, but the doctor answered me.

*Yes, hello?

"Doctor Cho?"

*Yes, it's me.

"Agent Romanoff speaking, we need you at headquarters immediately."

*I was already on my way, I should be there in 5 minutes.

"Very well." I answered before hanging up.

"So she'll be here soon?" asked Bruce.

"Yes, she'll be here in 5 minutes." Bruce nodded his head in response. He wasn't surprised by my answer either. There was something he wasn't saying.

"Come on, let's get Clint to the infirmary and get him ready for Dr. Cho," Bruce told me. He quickly went to get a stretcher and returned. Clint was carried in and placed on the bed. Bruce motioned for me to sit astride Clint. I climbed in and kept my hands on his wound while Bruce pushed the stretcher to the elevator.

Once in the infirmary Clint was placed on another bed and I kept my pressure on his wound while Bruce prepared him. The doctor arrived quickly, followed by a couple of nurses and they immediately took charge of the situation.

Bruce and I left the room to let the doctors do their job and we waited outside.