Infatuation

Miles and I walk into Myra's cafe and find a booth in the corner by a big window. We sit down across from each other and gaze over the menu, even though we have been here with Mel and Marcus about one hundred times and have it memorized by now.
"So are you going to get the usual?" He asks
"What do you think that is?" I ask, it's been a few weeks since I've seen him.
"Let's see...a grilled cheese sandwich, golden brown with tomato soup and a glass of ice water in case you burn your tongue or need to put a cube of ice in your soup because if Ralph isn't working today it will be too hot to eat." I stare at him in disbelief. I thought I was invisible to him but not.
"How did you...?"
"I told you Dellah I'm in love with you, you're so tedious yet so simple at the same time and it baffles me." He is winning me over and I don't want to admit it to him. Before I can say a word, Jeanette, the waitress walks over to take our order
"Hello, what can I get for you today?"
"I would like a house burger and fries..." I go to speak but he grabs my hand and it shuts me up immediately. "And the lady will have a grilled cheese sandwich, golden brown with tomato soup, and a glass of ice water." She puts it down and is about to turn away when he blurts, "Oh sorry can you make that two glasses of water, one without the ice please?"
"Absolutely hon no problem" she replies and she's off
"You didn't have to do that." I snip
"Oh yes I did, it's the right thing to do."
"How so?"
"Dellah..."
"What?!"
"You Have to let people take care of you...you're so afraid of getting hurt you put these walls up and they are near impossible to tear down." I think about this for a while and I think he can tell because he leans in and says, "I'm sorry Dell I didn't mean to offend you, I'm just trying to get you to let me in." He sounds sincere and comforting. I nod to show him he didn't hurt my feelings, I saw Jeanette walking over with our food, thank god. I'm not very good with emotions. Miles smiles and says thank you, he picks at his fries and I start picking at my plate as well. I can feel him observing me now that I know he does. I can't stop thinking about how long he's been doing it.
"What's wrong?" He asks, of course, he knows something is wrong.
"Get out of my head." He finds that amusing and smiles
"Get out of mine Dellah Everdeen." He looks me dead in my eyes and I know what he wants to hear...and as I mentioned earlier he's not the kind of guy you say no to.
"Fine."
"Fine, what?"
"Fine, I will be your..." I need to spit it out but I am not one to use labels. "...Girlfriend." As the word leaves my lips I can't take it back, but I'm not sure I want to.
"Girlfriend." He says smiling ear to ear, "Dellah Anne Everdeen, is my girlfriend."
"Ok, you can quit the dramatics." I snip.
"As you wish." He complies and we finish our meal. He drives me home and tells me to stay put while he gets out and walks to my side. He opens my door and helps me down the same way he did at Myra's but instead of letting me go he keeps a hold of my waist and pulls me in, I find myself holding my breath, He kisses me then just as quickly as it starts it ends.
"Thank you." He says. He doesn't have to elaborate, I know for what.
"You drive a hard bargain," I responded. And just like that, I'm walking toward my front door.