Back to school

I wake up with the weight of Miles Hart on my chest and the blaring of the bedside alarm that hasn't been used in forever blaring in my ears. I take in my surroundings and then remember the events of last night, it was sappy and sickeningly cute, ew. I form a smile and look down at a sleepy Miles whom I now know can sleep through everything and will need to be woken up for school by a human rather than an alarm in the future. I rub his back and check the clock. 7:03 am we have to be at school by 8:15 am. That should be enough time.
"Miles.." I say my voice just above a whisper.
"Mhmm.." he groans
"We have school, we need to get up," I reply
"Okay...five more minutes." He squeezes me tighter.
"No, now...we don't want to be late." I kiss his forehead and slip out from under him. Once I'm free I reach my room and open my dresser, I pull out a tank top that suits our school dress code. Two fingers wide, for whatever reason that is. Then I grab a pale blue ankle-length skirt my mom picked out when we went school shopping, it's flowy and has a similar print to the one I wore yesterday. Same routine as usual: curls to waves, mascara, blush, highlight, and today I put on some small thick gold hoop earrings. I added the necklace Mel got me so at least I can have a small part of her with me today. My eye catches the chunky velvet headband discarded on a rack of accessories I don't wear. Marcus got it for me as a joke last summer at a flea market in Florida when Mel's family took us on vacation. It just so happens to be the same blue as my skirt so I rest it on the top of my head leaving two big chunks of my hair to frame my face. I look like I put a little too much effort into my appearance but I will feel better with both of them here in spirit.

I walk downstairs and check my phone at 7:45, I get a bowl of cereal and turn my attention to Miles. "You clean up nice." I quip and turn my attention back to my breakfast. He is wearing an army green tee that compliments his summer tan and brings out his eyes. He is also wearing some light denim shorts that fall two inches above his knee.
"Well, you look stunning as per usual." He kisses my cheek and I can feel myself blush.
"Where are your shoes?" He asks.
"Oh right.." I say as I run upstairs to get some socks, when I come back down I grab the white pair of platform converse, which my Dad said were "all the rage" I laugh at the thought and throw them on. We finish our breakfast and we are out the door. The ride to school is 15 minutes long and with each minute I can feel my stomach turn. I was nervous before but after my run-in with Avalon, I am even more apprehensive about how today is going to go.

We pull into the parking lot and I feel like I am going to throw up. Miles has all but two classes with me so that's a plus but that doesn't make me any less nauseated. He helps me out of the jeep and kisses my cheek "You are gonna be great. I promise."
"What am I going to do in the fifth and sixth periods?" I say concerned
"Text me if anyone starts their shit." He says with a smile "Come on let's go." He puts his hand at its usual spot at the small of my back and pushes me toward the main building. Our school is tall with huge windows and pillars holding its structure lined with ivy. The landscaping is new and makes the pale beige building less monochrome. Our school has two cafeterias, outdoor and indoor, both in operation at certain times of the year depending on weather conditions, and a courtyard with lots of gardens, benches, and a fountain. Nice school, shit people. As we approach the courtyard people take notice of me and it feels like the world goes quiet. Everyone stops what they are doing to stare at me like I am some monster or an alien with 10 heads. They whisper and shoot me glances simultaneously. Miles then whispers into my ear, "You got this Delly, they don't know any better." I keep pushing and hear the locker bell ring. Miles walks me to my locker and that's when I see it. My locker is covered in red paint, and fake blood. In big black letters it read "Murderer" I feel my stomach drop, my hands go clammy, and I start to shake. I spot the culprit, she's red-handed. Avalon snickers with her clique of airheads not even aware of the red paint still on her hand and forearm acting as a scarlet letter. I have had enough
"You BITCH!" I march toward her and she stops dead in her tracks and stares like a deer in headlights. "Look at your arm, you dipshit!" I scream and I am filled with anger I have never felt before. She looks at her arm and her face drops. All eyes are still on me. When I reach her I cock my fist back and hit her square in the face, her nose starts to trickle with blood. She grabs her nose and starts to cry. I just stand there and watch completely in shock at my actions. My ears start to ring and I can feel Miles pick me up and drag me away. The world moves in slow motion and the next thing I know we are in the waiting chairs at the front office. "They are going to call my mom..." I say meekly without making eye contact.
"Well yeah Dell..you punched a girl in the face." he takes hold of my hand and glides his thumb over my red knuckles.
"I don't know what came over me.." I said my voice laced with shame. Luckily we have first-period study hall or this day would get even more shitty. I get called into the office.
"I will wait for you here." He flashes me a smile, "Maniac" he jokes. I move toward the office and open the door. "Miss Everdeen." Principal Woodruff says intrigued. He Is well into middle age and his once black hair has streaks of gray and his eyes are a cold pale blue. "I hear you got into a little scuffle...with umm Miss Gould." He states with hardly any emotion and drags out his words as if he is bored by the whole ordeal.
"I apologize, there was this thing on my locker and.." I start to choke but hold it back. I am not crying in the office.
" I am aware and I am going to let you off with a warning given the circumstance." He stops looking at his paper and meets my eyes. "But you owe Avalon an apology."
"Are you going to call my parents?" I say. I don't want them to come home early, they aren't due home until Friday.
"Give me a reason why I shouldn't?" he responds, it seems he is enjoying this.
" They are on a work trip out of town and they must stay there. They can't miss out on work because of me." I say trying my best to sound convincing.
"Ok then. Go back to class and I will be checking back with Avalon at the end of the week to see if you kept up your end of the bargain. She will also be expected to have cleaned your locker before lunch and apologize to you. Happy first day." He states before I exit the office. I enter the Lobby and there Miles is waiting for me just as he promised.
"There's my girl, how was it?" He grins
"They are letting me off the hook," I respond
"Ok good that means no trouble." He says, wrapping his arm around me.
"Let's start walking to second period. He suggests, guiding me into the hall. We walk to second period and the day passes as all first days do. The introduction, the syllabus, and the weird looks and gossip. We eventually reach lunchtime and Miles invites me to sit with him and his friends since my normal lunch buddies are not gonna make it. They were polite enough but didn't know how to act around me or how to feel about Miles and me.
"So uhm Delilah...is it?" Noah asks.
"No, it's Dellah. Like Bella but with a D," I say slightly annoyed.
"Right uh, Dellah. Sorry," he seems embarrassed. Noah is a chestnut brown-haired boy with chocolate eyes and a lanky build to him he looks to be about 6 '1. He is harmless and stupid, the worst combination.
"It 's ok," I say sincerely. My name is pretty simple but people mess it up often. My mom gave it to me because it means delicate and my middle name means grace. Neither describe me but she gave it a shot.
"So how long have you and Miles been together?" He probes
" About a month or so," I respond then shoot a glance at Miles, he is stuffing his face.
" Noah and I have been together for about three." Elowyn grins and hugs Noah's arm. Winnie is a strawberry blonde-haired girl with freckles and pretty green-blue eyes. She, like Noah, is also thin and measures about 5'6. She has gorgeous crimpy waves that she has thrown in a voluminous and perfectly flawed bun at the top of her head completed with ringlets that frame her round face and make her doe-like eyes pop. She is beautiful and kind and dresses a little like a hippie. I love it and want to be her friend.
"You have found a way to mention that three times today Winnie," Elias adds with annoyance. Elias is a strongly built boy who stands at about 5 '11 and his black hair curls at the ends and falls just above his eyes just like Miles's does. His eyes are icy and gray.
"Kiss my ass El." Winnie snips.
"I would if you had one." Elias teased.
"Hey Man, Don't talk about her ass, not cool." Noah says as if he is exhausted.
"There's a reason why he's the only one here without a girlfriend." Miles jokes
"Ok ouch." El smirks. I like how nobody here mentions that night or looks at me in pity. It feels normal and safe. Miles rests his hand on my thigh under the table and I feel my stomach flutter. It catches me off guard considering I almost forgot he was here. While the others are distracted by chit chat He leans into my ear and whispers, "You like them right?" He asks.
"They are ok." I laugh "Your friends are my friends. I like Winnie especially, maybe we could have them over tonight? I can text my mom and ask, Chinese takeout?" I surprised myself. I never want anybody in my bubble. Miles is taken aback by this as well.
"Whatever you want Delly." He says and lands a peck on my cheek.
"Aw...Delly? That's a cute nickname." Winnie practically squeals. I think I like her because she reminds me of Mel without being like her at all.
"Almost like Winnie," Noah interjects and nudges her arm, she blushes.
"Gross," Elais says disgustedly and pretends to shove his fingers down his throat to barf. Miles laughs and turns his way.
"We need to find you a girlfriend," Miles says as he scans the room. " Oh, I have one." He smirks and I can't help but try and find the unlucky girl he has selected.
"What? Who?" Elias scans the room frantically.
"Aurora Fredricks." Rory is a fairly pretty girl. She has grayish-blonde hair and waves like mine but hers aren't natural. She has deep blue eyes, long eyelashes, and pink lips. She is about 5'4 and is wearing a sage green sundress and the same converse as me. Dad was right.
"Hmmm, never thought of her. We are pretty opposite." Elias ponders the idea.
"Hey, people say opposites attract, she could be the golden retriever to your black cat." Winnie smiles like she's on to something. She is.
"So it's said and done. Rory and Elias." Miles seems proud of himself.
"There is a Bonfire this weekend at the lake. We all should go, everyone will be there including Rory. You can talk to her there." Noah suggests. I think about it and have no current reason to say no.
"Okay, I'm in. Miles?" I look at him impatiently
"I don't know..." he teases but I have no patience, I flash him some puppy eyes and he crumbles.
"All right." He says just as the lunch bell rings. As we walk down the hall Miles makes a group chat with Noah, Elias, and me then had Noah add Winnie. I shoot my mom a text asking about tonight.
Hey mama :)
Hi honey, what are you up to?
Oh, nothing just missing you. How is the trip?
What do you want?
Just your undying motherly love :)
Haha, right.
Okay, you got me. Can I have my new friends over for dinner tonight?
New friends :D
Ok, it isn't that exciting.
Yes, you can, How many?
Three.
Your father wants to know if there will be boys.
Omg, mom!
Oh hush it's his house too
Two. It will be Me, Miles, Elias, Noah, and his girlfriend Winnie.
Okay, He says that should be fine. Miles is there to protect you and the neighbors are on watch. Love you!
Love you too, thanks, mom. I texted the group chat next.

Hey, guys, it's Dellah, wanna come over for dinner tonight? Chinese takeout on me.
Elias: yep
Winnie: Can't wait!
Noah: if she's there I'm there
Miles<3: I have no choice, she's been holding me hostage, send help.
I shoot Miles a glance and he grins. I put my phone away and walk into the classroom. Miles and I sit next to each other but are quickly stopped when the teacher tells us all to stand against the wall. "Welcome to chemistry." The teacher says while she's pacing the classroom. "My name is Miss Bardot." She is fairly young but looks strict and uptight. She has long auburn hair that is pin straight and falls to the middle of her back whilst in a high pony so I assume it reaches her tailbone. Her voice is poised and clean. "You will be seated In alphabetical order and your seat partner will be your lab partner for the first half of the year. If that goes well you guys can mix it up midterm. Understood?" Everyone nods and she starts to ramble off names in first name alphabetical order starting from Z. I was hoping it would be last name because then Miles and I may end up together but then as I'm scanning the room I see it. Avalon Gould with my name being Dellah Everdeen and this dingbat going in alphabetical order, there is no way we won't be seated together. There are no B ,C or, F names in this class. Shit. She reaches the end, "Dellah and Avalon, lab table 12 please." She snips and makes her way to the front and starts teaching, I look at Miles across the room. "You've got this." He mouths and I smile.
"Well, well if it isn't the heavyweight champion of the senior hall?" She sneers.
"Sorry about that," I grumble
"It's fine you got me out of the first period and made it easier for me to hate you and look like less of a cunt." She spits. "Sorry about your locker by the way." She quips sarcastically.
"No problem." I shoot her one last glare and turn my attention to Ms. Bardot.