The Outburst

I went straight to my room when I got home last night, it was only five pm so I'm sure that my parents were suspicious but I don't care. My parents adore Miles so I'm not worried about them approving but I am worried about Charlotte. She's going to freak and march in here like a bull on a rampage so I had better tell my parents before she does. I get dressed in my usual outfit, a sweater, and jeans except I wear shorts, it's too hot for jeans today. I walk downstairs and greet my parents.
"Can we talk?" I ask nervously.
"Sure Delly, what's up" Dad responds as my mom nods and gestures for me to take a seat.
"Don't be mad."
"Why would we be mad?" Mom asks
"No reason.."
"Spit it out." Dad quips
"Miles and I are dating.." I brace myself for impact. There is no telling how they will react.
"Oh ok," Mom says as if she could care less
"Why would we be mad," Dad asks
"I don't know, things have been hard lately and his mother isn't very pleasant, not to mention he is Mel's twin."
"Delly we love Miles."Mom says "He is exactly the kind of boy we want you to date, he's polite and respectful." She explains, "You can tell his mother didn't raise him."
"Ok Mom, don't tell him that." "His head will get too big" I find myself blushing. I hate that he makes me blush even when he's not around.

I hear a car pull in the driveway, It sounds like Miles's Jeep so I look out the window, I was right. I got excited but then I realize he's not the type to show up unannounced and my heart drops. I continue to look out the window hoping for the best when I see his mother hop out of the Jeep and start marching toward my front door, Miles jumps out and looks both shocked and embarrassed. He chases his Mom to the door and grabs her arm. I can't tell what he's saying but I can tell that he is trying to convince her to leave based on his aggressive pointing in the direction of the car. I've never seen him so frustrated and desperate. Before he can convince her she knocks on the door. My mom gets up to answer it and sees Miles Jeep
"Aw look Dellah, your boyfriend here." She taunts and smiles unaware of the devil that stands on our doorstep. She opens it to see a very worried Miles accompanied by a very angry Charlotte.
"Oh what an unpleasant surprise, Hello Lottie" Mom quips. My mother is never bitter so Dad and I exchange a glance
"Well Eleanor, I see you gave up on teaching your daughter human decency"
"I see your children didn't learn to be so sweet and caring from you."
"Ok, I am just going to say it because we can go back and forth all day."
"Shoot, I do just love your presence, that is such a shame." Dad and I don't know who this woman is or what she did with my mother but I am not complaining and neither is she.
"May we come in?" Lottie says in a tone that sounds more like a demand than a request.
"Miles can, come here sweetie.." Mom says with her voice demonstrating kindness for the first time since she opened the door.
"Yes ma'am," Miles says joining me on the couch. He nods at my dad out of respect, He smiles
"Miles get back here!" Lottie screams like a toddler who didn't get her way
"No ma'am," Miles says sharply. I didn't realize it before but my legs are shaking, he rests his palm on my thigh and whispers to me, "Hey, you're ok, her bark is worse than her bite." I smile then turn my attention back to the show
"He will be staying here, Andrew grab his keys and move his Jeep to the garage please." My dad obeys
"You, Lottie will be calling your husband to pick you up, and do not say a word to my daughter ever or it will be the last word you speak in your life."
"Is that a threat?!"
"Nope, it's a promise."
"Miles, it is me or them." It takes him a minute, he looks at me and smiles, "I choose them, Mom." Lottie looks outraged.
"Don't come back to my house unless it is to get your things Miles Jacob Hart. You are no longer welcome." She slams the door and makes an angry Phone call to Richard, Ten minutes later he pulls in and she gets in the car, just like that she's gone. My dad comes back in and everyone is quiet.
"Who are you and where is my wife?" He says trying to break the silence, my mom chuckles
"She is sick of everyone's shit." She laughs
"Dellah, make up the guest room." I comply
"Why would she do that?" Dad asks
"Lottie kicked Miles out while you were gone, he is staying with us."
"Mrs. Everdeen..." Miles starts to protest but my mom isn't having it
"Call me Elenor and whether you like it or not you are not sleeping on the streets." "Andrew will take you to get your stuff tomorrow, that room is yours for as long as you need it." Mom is not taking no for an answer and I love it. I show Miles to the guest room and give him a tour of the house. I don't know how all this is going to go but I can't wait to see what happens next.