Home at Last

When my parents get home Miles and I are greeted with a swarm of affection and praise for keeping ourselves alive long enough for them to make it home, my Mom can tell something is wrong with me but decides not to comment on it. My Dad on the other hand doesn't miss a beat. "How's my Delly Belly, are you sick?" He says pulling me into a hug.
"Yeah, but I will live." I smile against his chest.
"You two get into any trouble while I was gone." He asks sternly but jokingly.
"No sir," Miles says confidently.
"You took good care of my little girl?" He continues making my cheeks glow red with embarrassment.
"Yes sir." He smiles and shoots me a devious glance. I redden further.
"Alright, then I am going to hit the hay." He pats Miles's back and makes his way upstairs.
"Hi, baby." My Mom kisses my cheek and smiles, then she follows Dad up the steps. When the coast is clear Miles plops on the couch and gestures for me to do the same.
"What am I going to do tonight without you?" He asks. His eyes resemble that of a puppy.
"I don't know Miles, sleep." He isn't satisfied with my response.
"Sneak in." He smiles
"No," I respond with a laugh.
"Please" he begs
"No, my parents will kill me." I snip.
"Who's gonna take care of you if you get sick again?" He asks, persistent in convincing me. It's kind of cute that he is so worried about me, If he is worried about me that is. He may just be worried about what may happen if I do sneak in. He has been much more affectionate toward me since last night and I don't know if it's because of me being hungover and sick, or if it's because we...you know. He hardly ever calls me pet names, the closest he has been to that is calling me Delly, and that's more of a nickname than a pet name. Maybe I am reading too much into all this.
"Fine," I say giving in.
"Thank you." He smiles and leans in for a kiss. I comply and start to add to my previous statement.
"I will ask my Mom if it is ok that you sleep on my trundle, so if I need you, you are there." His face falls a bit but it's better than nothing, and this way we won't get in trouble. I walk upstairs and knock on my parent's door.
"Come in." My Mom half yells from the opposite side of her room. I open the door, walk in and close it behind me.
"Mom..." I say trying not to sound meek but fail.
"What do you want." She quips.
"Can Miles sleep on my trundle tonight?" I spit, and brace for impact.
"Why would I let him do that?" She probes
"Because I am sick and he knows that you guys are exhausted and If I need something it's better to wake him than you..." I trail and my Mom smiles.
"That's fine." She responds to end my suffering.
"Leave the door open." My Dad interjects.
"Sure thing." I snip and I am on my way out the door. When I go to my room to set up the trundle I am greeted by Miles sitting on my bedside with a devious grin.
"You happy you got your way?" I tease.
"No, I would much rather be in the bed with you..." he responds
"Why? It is a full-sized trundle." I say in my best advertisement voice. "And it's got pink sheets." I smile.
"Does it come with Dellah Anne cuddles?" He smirks
"No...But it's pillow top." I taunt. He lunges forward and grabs me so that I am on the bed with him. We fool around for about five minutes before we are interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I pick it up and put it on speaker.
"Hello?" I say my voice sing-songy.
"Hello Miss Everdeen." The voice is monochrome and serious, Miles glances at me. "This is Sheriff Anderson."
"Oh, hi. is there something wrong?" I had given my statement over a month ago so there can't be something wrong with that. My heart is pounding.
"Yes. There has been an anonymous concern reported about your case and if you don't come into the sheriff's office by tomorrow morning there will be a warrant out for your arrest." My heart drops to the bottom of my stomach and I feel my whole body go cold. Miles pulls me in and presses his lips against my temple, and his hand in my hair on the opposite side of my skull, keeping me in place.
"Good evening Miss Everdeen." The line goes dead and so do I. I can't breathe and my heart is racing. what report? Do they think I did it? Are they going to put me away for the rest of my life? The questions flood my brain and I can't make them stop, My hands are clammy and shaky.
"Dellah?" Miles tries to get my attention. "Dell?"
"Mhm." That is all I could muster up.
"Are you okay?" He asks knowing the answer.
"Mhm." I hum again before the tears start to rush.
"Aw don't cry, Angel." There it is again, it's kind of growing on me. He brings himself into a sitting position against my headboard and pulls me into his lap, laying my head against his chest. I let the sobs come and the tears wet his shirt, he attempts to wipe my tears with his hand and rubs my back with his free one. I like how he doesn't ask questions and doesn't say a thing, He just lets me cry. "It will be okay Delly." He says just before kissing the top of my head. I hear footsteps in the hallway but I could care less.
"What's going on?" My Moms's voice chirps with concern. I can't answer so Miles takes over.
"The police called. Is it ok if I..." Before he can ask my mom replies.
"Yes, sweetheart. Just no funny business." I can tell she's concerned but she's not going to yank him from me, she knows I need him right now.
"Looks like I will get my cuddles after all," Miles whispers trying to lighten the mood.
"Mhm." I adjust myself and melt into him. He takes the win and catches my Dad as he moves through the hallway.
"Sir." He grasps his attention,
"Call me Andrew son." He quips
"Can you..." he points to the blanket on the trundle. My Dad is confused but complies.
"What is going on?" He asks his voice a whisper like I can't hear him or something.
"Elenor will fill you in." He responds and my Dad covers me up and kisses my cheek.
'Goodnight Delly Belly." He gives Miles a nod and walks away, leaving the door open behind him, but shutting off the light, leaving only the bedside lamp. With that, I drift off.