Chapter seven; Myth

It had been a week since the Sully family had come into Siri'tri's life. Ever since the party four days ago, Neteyam, Kiri, and Siri'tri had been hanging out together with Lo'ak and Tsireya joining sometimes.

Most of the time they would be just swimming and exploring the island while talking about various topics. Siri'tri would teach them different fighting styles and techniques, while Tsireya was responsible for introducing them to the Metkayina culture. Neteyam was desperate to impress Iri so he would stay after everyone else had left and practice more each day.

Today Iri and Roxto had taught the Sullys where to find the best clams for eating and how to prepare them. Even Neytiri participated but remained on the surface the whole time only peeking her face into the water.

She was having a hard time blending in with the culture, surroundings, and everything in between. She missed her mother and her home but didn't let anyone see. Except for Jake who saw how she felt, he tried to comfort her every time he had the chance. Together they had made plans to go for a hunt in the forest today while  Siri'tri's and Roxto's mother Su'vi would watch over Tuk. Little Tutkirey had no problem spending time with the silly art lady she had met on the first day. She even ended up learning how to crochet and made bracelets for Tsireya, Kiri, and Iri.

After preparing the clams for the evening, Iri and Kiri joined Tsireya who had just come from preparing tonight's dinner with her father.

This night the whole clan was about to get together for an annual feast. It was good for the community since every person would have to bring something to eat or drink. The celebration would last the whole night and the determined ones would stay up until the morning.

But since the whole ordeal was still hours away, Iri and Reya both agreed on showing Kiri their special place. For the past few days Kiri had been feeling a little low, everytime they were in a group that dick Ao'nung would give her disgusted glances. Kiri knew that she shouldn't care what he thought of her but it was easier said than done.

Kiri was confused about where the girls were leading her when they were walking down a narrow path in the woods. The trees and flowers reminded her of the rainforest and that was almost making her sad too before she saw their destination appear behind a large rock. It was a small clear pond surrounded by many trees and plants. There was a little sandy beach which made it look like it had been made there for a purpose.

"This is our secret place, nobody else knows this location so we would appreciate if you didn't tell anyone." Tsireya said turning to Kiri and holding her pinky for a promise, Kiri brought her pinky to Reya's and squeezed it lightly. 

Tsireya got in the water and gestured for Kiri to join. Iri was walking a few meters behind them making sure that no one was following them. When she was confident it was safe she joined the two in the water. For a while, they just floated on their backs falling into their thoughts. To no one's surprise, Tsireya's mind was on Lo'ak. She was thinking about what she would wear tonight to impress him.

Iri tried to clear her thoughts but one thing kept interrupting it. The night when she danced with Neteyam. Every time the thought crossed her mind she felt butterflies in her stomach. The morning after the party, she woke up happy but then feeling the butterflies she thought she was hungover.

Soon she realized she was in fact not hungover when the butterflies wouldn't leave her alone. Every time she would show things to the Sullys she would always hope for his answer first. When she made jokes she made sure that his reaction wouldn't go unnoticed.

This was bothering her day and night but still, she wouldn't admit she had any sort of feelings for Neteyam. She barely even knew him, they had known each other for only a week. "Must be just the new changes, it'll pass."