Chapter eight; Grandma's delicasy

The torches were lit and the glow erupting from them reflected on the water. The pathway from the village leading to the over forty meters long table at the beach was decorated with bioluminescent flowers and the sand was dyed blue. You could feel the excitement and hunger of everyone lingering in the athmosphere.

Tonowari had requested for Siri'tri and her family to join theirs at the feast like she always had before but she denied the offer explaining that someone had to guide the Sullys. This was the perfect excuse to get sligtly closer to Neteyam even though she didn't want to admit it. When the girls had returned from the forest earlier, Neteyam had only waved at her before jumping on his Ilu and diving away. Somehow, even that made her checks heat up.

Tuk's eyes lit up when she approached the destination and saw the table flooding with the foods she was craving for. She was about to make run for it until someone grabbed her and lifted her on their shoulders. "You little forest monkey! Tuk you have to be more patient, we have to wait for a sign before eating" Siri'tri explained laughing while carrying the little girl.

"Let me down right now!" Tuk yelled trying to kick her way out of Siri'tri's strong grip but failing. "Trust me Tuktuk I would love to, but I can't trust you. Who knows you'll jump into the table!" Iri laughed before tickling Tuk's back and contiuing their way up the path.

Neytiri was walking with the others behind the girls when she noticed her eldest son smiling.

"She seems like a nice girl, very funny." Neytiri smiled looking how the girl carried Tuktirey on her shoulders. It reminded her of how when she was a little girl, her sister Sylwanin used to carry her.

Neytiri was grateful how Siri'tri had immediately made Tuk feel like home. Iri didn't just drag Tuk along everywhere like the others did, instead she took the time to do things Tuk liked and that were appropriate for her age. "Finally someone who doesn't endanger my child's life."

The Sully family and Siri'tri made their way through a wide decorated arch to the side of the table that was next to the forest treeline.
By now, nearly the entire clan was surrounding the massive table standing on the beach in place silently waiting. Soon the clan leaders and their children arrived at the end of the table. After greeting everyone, Ronal began the known speech.

"The way of water has no beginning and no end... The sea is around you and in you.
The sea is your home.
Before your birth, and after your death.
Our hearts beat in the womb of the world,
our breath burns in the shadows of the deep.
The sea gives and the sea takes.
Water connects all things.
Life to death.
Darkness to light."

Every Metkayina knew the way of the water and aside from Lo'ak it was the first time the Sullys heard it. Each and every one of them was moved to some extend. Even Tuk was listening with her ears perked.

To lighten the athmosphere and start the meal, Tonowari announced with a carrying voice. "Today the sea has decided to give, so enjoy the food given to us and wear your hearts lightly because after this meal your stomachs will be heavy!"

Everyone cheered and the feast began, soon after people started separating. Mostly teens gathering together.

Neteyam was eyeing the food infront of him, he didn't know what to choose so he diverted his gaze to Iri to see what she was picking. To get a better look he made her way next to her.

Noticing Neteyam coming towards her, Iri's heart started beating fast and she almost chocked on the shrimp she was eating. "Come on not again." She groaned trying to calm down. Why was this happening always around him, it was so stupid.

"Hey Iri." He greeted by grabbing her shoulder and squeezing it lightly. "Fuck me." She thought, her mind was going haywire. "Keep it cool you bitch, suck it up. You're a literal hunter and warrior!" She scolded herself.