Chapter twenty-six; Yellow

Two days after the battle:

"Siri'tri..." Neteyam tried to nudge her awake but her eyes were still closed. She hadn't woken up since she blacked out during Ronal's healing session. He sighed giving up trying to wake her and laid down next to her. He took her hand that had a gauze wrapped around it and gave it a light squeeze. He looked at her profile and smiled. She looked so peaceful and a small part of him hoped that she wouldn't have to wake up and hear the news. His thoughts were interrupted as Kiri and Roxto walked into the Marui pod.

Roxto had cried his eyes out for the entire day yesterday but now he had run out of tears. The pair saw down and Kiri offered to make Roxto a snack.
"It's alright you guys don't have to take care of me. You should be with your family." He spoke looking outside into the hut where his mother's body was kept. The funeral was tonight and Iri hadn't woken up.

Kiri turned to him and took his hands into hers.
"You are a part of our family now. Both you and her." Kiri pointed at Iri's sleeping form. She got up and went to check on the wounds. She lightly lifted the gauze wrapped around Iri's shoulder and turned to a small bedside table. Kiri took a cup of powder and lightly dabbed it on the wound on Iri's shoulder, it was important that it wouldn't get infected. Neteyam had closed his eyes but was disrupted when a hand hit his face. "Kiri that is not funny, let me lay here." He muttered not bothering to open his eyes.

"That wasn't me, you must be going insane. Take a break, go outside, eat... I will watch over Iri until you come back." Kiri spoke putting the powder back with her back turned to him. "What?" Neyeyam opened his eyes. If it hadn't been Kiri who hit her... He sat up and noticed Iri scrunching her nose. He was frozen from shock. "Please wake up I need you to wake up I love you." He pleaded in his head, then like she had heard his thoughts, Iri's eyes fluttered open. He had never been happier to see those deep green eyes look at him. "What are you staring at it's creepy." Siri'tri commented on his face. He let out a happy noise which made Siri'tri think he had lost his mind.

Kiri turned around and gasped from happiness, Roxto fluttered out of his trance and scurried over too. "You're awake." Was all they said in unison.
"Maybe, but I'm starting to think that I'm not. Why are you acting so weird." She grunted getting up on her forearms but avoiding putting on any weight on her sore left shoulder.

"What is the last thing you remember?" Kiri asked her. Siri'tri thought for a while and then asked. "Where is Tuk?" Neteyam looked at everyone and nodded. "Seems about right." Siri'tri furrowed her brows in confusion. "How long was I out? Where is mom? I need to see her, we promised to talk after that shit show was over." She asked trying to get up but Neteyam lowered her to lean against the wall behind her. She looked at their faces which were written with grief all over them. "Where's mom? I said I needed to talk to her!" She insisted. "Iri..." Kiri looked her in the eyes and Iri felt a lump in her throat.

"No-" She denied feeling her voice get thin. "It's true Riri, I was there." Roxto spoke in a voice barely above a whisper. Iri tried to breathe in but couldn't. Something was stopping her. She felt her face pull into a frown and a tear rolled down from her eye. She started to cry quietly and she wiped a tear from her cheek. She looked at her wet hand and she couldn't believe it, she was crying! "What happened?" Was all she managed to say in between sniffles and Neteyam grabbed her into his arms making her lay against his chest.

Roxto explained the situation as well as he could, some parts he didn't dare to say because it was still too much. When he had seen his mother's dead body, he finally understood his sister. Seeing a parent like that was something unimaginable. After he had told the story, Siri'tri pulled him into an embrace and whispered. "It's now us left Roxto, but we can do this... I know we can. They want us to!" She smiled and wiped the tears off of Roxto's face. She was heartbroken but she knew that her parents would have wanted her to stay strong at this moment.