17. jungwon

Jungwon quickly freed himself from his father's office.

So he was going to inherit the crown. In his childhood home, for the first time in his life, Jungwon found it ridiculous. Him. In a crown. A king ruling a land of magic.

Even though he had to take the leap, he was going to fight for the things he couldn't live without.

Half past eight, Jungwon was knocking on Myeongsoon's door. Myeongsoon's mom opened, smiling wider as she saw him.

"I haven't seen you in weeks!" She pulled Jungwon in, a tiny but strong woman, and squeezed his cheeks. "You're always here when I'm out at work."

Jungwon was always adored in his girlfriend's family. It was easy for them to ignore that Jungwon had magical powers, parents who ruled a magical land and that he was to take it over one day. It made him feel free, in comparison to his own family where he was always and unforgettably a wizard. Not that Jungwon hated it, but his parents always made it seem like something more important than it actually was.

Myeongsoon's mom watched him with a smile. He knew what she was doing. Checking what changed, thinking how Jungwon improved. He always improved. Whenever she saw him, he was stronger, taller, more handsome. She always pointed it out and he always admitted it to be true.

"Look at you," she said, ruffling his hair, even though Jungwon had to bend for her to reach. "My perfect boy."

He had to force a smile. She'd always called him like that. And Jungwon relished in it. That was what he wanted to hear.

Except that this time, it felt like an insult.

What was wrong with him? He was perfect, it wasn't anything to be fighting against.

"I'm glad you're here," she said. "Myeongsoon had a bad day. She's locked up in her room since lunch time."

Maybe Jungwon would have known about it if he wasn't trying to distance himself. It daunted on him. It was his decision and he was hurting them both with it.

Jungwon was... wrong.

It felt like tearing his skin off. He was never wrong, he wasn't supposed to be, yet suddenly all of his life decisions seemed like a misfit. Nothing he'd chosen felt right. Jungwon felt like a failure, and for the first time in forever he couldn't hide it from himself.

"I'll go to her." He smiled.

Jungwon listened. Always listened, and always chose what to focus on. What he didn't like, he pushed out of his mind and memory. He'd never thought things he pushed away would come back at him.

I love you. And I know you love me. But no matter how much you love me, you'll always love being perfect more. You always choose being perfect. You're not going to be perfect with me. I'm sorry.

He fought against it for days. He fought it out of his mind, and when he couldn't, he fought for it not to be true. And he fought himself for whatever he'd done in his life for making it true.

But why couldn't he have both? Why couldn't Myeongsoon understand he had space for all of it in his life? He could be perfect, make everyone proud, and he could still be with her.

With a knock on the door, Jungwon slipped into the room, closing the door behind him. Myeongsoon, grey sweatpants and grey hoodie on, was sprawled on the bed. Surprised, she paused Hubble – her comfort show – slipped her laptop off her lap, and stood up.

"What are you doing here?"

It burned. She was never surprised to see him, because he was always around. A few silent days apart, and she didn't even expect him to come. Because she believed he'd put something else above her.