25. jungkook

Jungkook was back at square one. With his friends and Jiji, in his living room, drinking lemonade. Jiji and Hyewon were watching The Incredibles on the carpet. Jungkook and Taehyung on the couch, Youngji pacing behind them, on a business call.

Silvia was out of reach, Jungkook was worse than his twin, and he had to go about it the way he was always going to – win himself the spotlight with his face and shine in his own environment. Away from Jungwon, away from his family.

He wasn't sad about losing the crown, yet a part of him felt bitter about how it all turned out. For a moment, a subtle change in Jungwon's behavior and in the relationship between the brothers made Jungkook feel stupidly hopeful. It was different and weird, but Jungkook was experiencing this for the first time. Thinking that maybe things could be different.

It was lost as fast as it came. He was moving to Paris, and Jungwon was taking over Silvia. Maybe for the better. Things were back to normal, yet Jungkook couldn't picture giving his twin the same attitude.

"Okay, Jungkook," Youngji said, leaning her hands on the back of the couch. Jungkook threw his head back to look at her. "Photoshoot next week. Are you ready?"

"That photoshoot?" he asked.

"That photoshoot."

"Of course I'm ready."

She ruffled his hair. "Very good. This shoot and we can fly to Paris."

Things weren't ideal, but Jungkook had a lot to be grateful for. The opportunity to move to Paris, with his best friends, with Jiji. Doing something he enjoyed. Opportunities he'd never found without Youngji and her ability to sneak in everywhere and pull incredible offers the employers were harboring.

"What do you think about dyeing your hair?" Youngji asked. "I've seen the outfits they will put you in, and I think black will look extra cool."

"I'm gonna buy hair dye, you manage food for the next three hours," he said, totally into the idea.

They laughed a lot that day, Hyewon, Youngji, Taehyung and Jiji trying to dye Jungkook's hair together. Jungkook couldn't complain, no matter what he lost and what he didn't have. Because everything he did have was priceless.

~~

Jungkook had done photoshoots before. He'd done amateur runaways in his apartment. The environment wasn't anything new to him. Familiar and comforting. Jungkook loved the rush of photoshoots, loved how everyone worked together to create a masterpiece. He loved watching and listening about the photographer's vision. He loved people who understood that a human body was art.

He paid special attention to the stylists, how they matched and unmatched the clothes, the accessories. One of the women told Youngji the choice of hair color was immaculate.

A simple white dress shirt with a royal-looking collar. Almost see through, delicate like mist against his skin. The accessories did the real job. Rich, abundant necklace, earrings, rings and bracelets. Heavy and elegant. Black wide pants. The material was insane. Jungkook was going to ask if he could take them home. High heels. Delicate shoes giving him a few extra inches.

Jungkook loved the atmosphere of this particular shoot. For a new, uprising independent fashion magazine, everyone was professional but friendly. Jungkook loved the sense of equality everyone involved seemed to believe in.

His face was supposed to go on the cover of their first issue. Jungkook was thrilled.

For the most part.