22. jungkook

Jungkook woke up to his living room full. He slept for weak three hours, leaning against Youngji. Taehyung sprawled on the carpet, snoring. Hyewon, arms on the coffee table, head on her arms.

He had a weird dream. Vivid, with overwhelming smell of flowers and blinding sunlight. He was crowned for the king of Silvia. The creatures were bowing to him. That was the most spotlight he'd ever gotten – as a king, on top of that – and he'd felt uncomfortable. Now, awake, he couldn't shake the unpleasant residue off.

He checked his phone before he opened his second eye. No texts from Jungwon, no calls, nothing.

"I can't believe I asked him for help," he mumbled, gently moving Youngji to lean against the armrest, and left to the bathroom.

Jiji was still gone, his eye bags were disastrous and he was devastated. They spent the night brainstorming, calling restaurants and coffee shops in Jungkook's neighborhood, in Taehyung's neighborhood, and every other neighborhood they suspected. But Jiji could be everywhere, and Jungkook had little hope to find her this way.

He washed off the leftover make-up that didn't go into a pillow, took a quick shower, and went downstairs, where Hyewon was stirring awake.

"Coffee," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"I'm ordering," Jungkook said over a yawn.

"Good. We've got work to do."

Their coffees and pastries arrived fast, from the coffee shop on the other side of the street. Everyone looking dead as they emptied the cups.

"You guys should go home," Jungkook said. "We're not gonna find her like that. And you barely slept because of me, anyways."

"We care about Jiji, you know it," Hyewon said. "We'll find her."

"We will, but not when everyone is falling asleep and feeling like shit," Jungkook said.

Hopeless, but calmer than yesterday. If something happened to her, it would be a loud case. Not every day a baby dragon got hurt in their city.

"Oh, Jungkook." Youngji reached for phone. "I will send you a file with concept pictures for that photoshoot we were talking about. I know you're focused on Ji now, but remember to check them out when you're able to, okay? If you're still following through with the shoot, of course."

"We need to find Ji before Paris," Hyewon said.

"Girl, we need to find Ji as soon as possible," Taehyung said.

"I'll do it later," Jungkook said. "And I'm afraid I'll have to visit one old ass wizard."

"What?" Hyewon asked.

"Think about it." He dropped his head onto the back of the couch, closed his eyes, and enumerated on his fingers. "Kwan tells me he believes I should rule this stupid land, for some reason. The same day Jiji disappears. Dragons are banned from Silvia. He's thousands fucking years old. Maybe he read my mind, or some shit, and took her so that I can inherit the fucking crown?" Sighing, he ran his palms down his bare face. "I don't know. But I need to ask him. Somehow. Without actually admitting I have a dragon, in case he didn't take her."

"Do you want us to go with you?" Hyewon asked.

Jungkook smiled wider. "You think you could take him on in a fight?"

"Bitch." Hyewon huffed. "A 'no magic' policy and he's done."

For the first time in four years, Jungkook was alone in his apartment. He didn't know how to act, how to make food for one person, how to function without something ridiculous playing on the TV. He settled everything as if Jiji was home – Fight Club on the TV, a mess of fashion magazines on the coffee table, music in another room to create more noise. Silence was driving him mad.