19. jungkook

By the time they walked into a third book store, Jungkook knew he'd follow Taehyung anywhere. Okay, he'd known it since they became friends. In the first store, Taehyung bought four books, and Jungkook was now carrying a bag of seven. Of course he was carrying Taehyung's tote bag. Come on. Jungkook knew how to be a great boyfriend, even if there was nothing boyfriend-y between them.

He tried to turn it into a date, like Jiji told him to, even if jokingly, but he was physically unable to. After a third failed attempt to ask, Jungkook gave up and enjoyed their time together. Whatever the hell anyone would call it.

Taehyung slipped between the bookshelves, this time not looking for a book for him. Two years ago, Jungkook agreed to read one book a month, whatever Taehyung chose for him. Last time, it was contemporary fiction, a book about identity and life path. Jungkook enjoyed it, even though it took him twenty nine days to finish it.

He looked at the label over the shelf. "Can we not do fantasy? I'm kind of done with magic."

Taehyung chuckled. "As you wish."

Jungkook followed, like he had been for the past two hours. While he wasn't much of a reader, he'd always enjoyed bookstores and libraries. They reminded Jungkook of Taehyung. Books, bookstores. He'd found himself smiling at people who read in public, as they always made him think of the boy.

"From one to ten, how excited are you to have a bookstore in Paris?" Jungkook asked.

"Six hundred," Taehyung said, no hesitation.

Jungkook fought an urge to grab his hand, smiled instead.

Taehyung led them into the front of the store, like he already knew what he was looking for. He scanned one of the tables, all the covers colorful and cartoonish. Taehyung had told Jungkook once he was never a fan of those covers, but he liked to read cute love stories. Something had to balance out all the heavy topics Taehyung gravitated to.

"Oh, this," Taehyung said, reaching for a book with a blue-red London themed cover, two cartoonish men on it. "No fantasy. Nothing difficult. A gay rom-com. And it's funny."

Jungkook had to bite back a comment about the title. Boyfriend Material. Was this supposed to be a hint, and why Jungkook desperately wanted it to be one?

"Okay, I'll read it," he said. "Everything better than unicorns and wizards."

Now Jungkook was carrying two bags, with eleven books in them.

"You're obsessed, you know?" He chuckled, first one out of the store.

"Not my fault it makes me happy." Taehyung smiled, skipping down the stairs. "Are you free? I want coffee."

Even if Jungkook wasn't free, he would be free now. "Come on. Coffee will fix this day."

"Uh, excuse me? Haven't I done this already?"

"Meh." Jungkook laughed at the smack on his shoulder. "My day was better as soon as I saw you, don't worry."

They headed down the street, hand in hand. Jungkook was giddy thinking about holding Taehyung's hand. He didn't, but the idea in itself always gave him butterflies.

"So? What were you doing today?" Taehyung asked.

"Washing unicorns."

"What?"

"See that?" Jungkook pointed to his right cheek. "This is blush. This?" He pointed to his left cheek. "This is a kick from a unicorn baby."

"Unicorn babies are aggressive," Taehyung said, gently touching Jungkook's cheek. His knees buckled. "But washing unicorns? What the hell is that about?"