prologue

Halle is about four years old when she was taken away from her father, and she and her Dad didn't really have a close bond so she was more closer to her grandfather Travis who is a retired police sheriff for the town's police department.

The reason why Travis is in care of Halle is because of her father being a wanted man and didn't want anything to happen to his daughter. 

Travis loves Halle and she loves him. That's basically how their relationship was as sweet as it was. Halle would often come to work with Travis even if he retired he still was a major part of the police department. 

He would basically treat Halle like she is his own daughter even if that's his granddaughter. She basically forgot about her father for as long as she could remember. She never asked where her father was because even Travis didn't know where he was. They basically stopped caring about the man, but that doesn't mean that Halle doesn't love her father. Now it's a hot sunny day in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It's the middle of summer which is hot and beaches are hot.

Which the now twenty one year old girl is in her room blasting some rock band as she is cleaning her room. Because she has nothing else to do in her life. She is humming the lyrics as her grandfather is at a retirement party for one of the coworkers. Which the daughter of said coworker that's retiring is Riley Evers, one of and the only friend of Halle.

Halle and Riley go way back to when the girls were six, as her father Owen and his wife got married and their reception was at their house. Which sprung a friendship between the two girls and they have been close ever since. Well up until they were nineteen. Why? Oh, because Riley made Halle and her boyfriend Leland break up. 

Halle cried for weeks when she found out what her so called best friend did, behind her back. 

From that day on Halle swore that she will be done dating as she doesn't want to get her heart broken again. No matter how high of expectations that she has. She isn't having any if it. In the mean time after she's done cleaning her room her grandfather knocked on her door.

"Open." Halle says as she is folding her laundry that she recently got from the dryer. Like an hour ago.

"You're still in here, Hal. The more your in here the older I get." Travis says as Halle chuckles as she finds matching pairs of socks and line them up.

"Aren't you already old, in the first place?" Halle says as her grandfather grabs a pair of folded sock and threw it at her as she smiles amused of her joke.

"I am not old Halle Jean." Travis says as he picked out her nickname because her father never gave her one as he named her after his wife Mary Jean. She died when Halle was twelve. 

"Yeah okay." Halle says as she grabs her rings and put them on her fingered. She has a collection of rings as she is known of being a petty thief. But that was when she was thirteen through nineteen. For six years. She stopped last year when she was twenty.

She then grabbed her favorite ring. Her grandmother's wedding ring. She always freezes when she gets to that one she sadly smiles at it before sliding it on her ring finger on her left hand among others that she has on said hand.

"She would've given you her ring anyway." Her grandpa Travis says as that makes Halle smile at the thought of her grandmother giving her granddaughter her wedding ring.

"I miss her. I wish she was here." Halle says as a couple tears start to fall from her eyes and land onto her wrist. Travis walks towards his granddaughter and bring her into a hug which she doesn't hesitate to do. Travis rubbed Halle's back in effort to calm her down which it worked a little. She stopped crying though but that didn't stop the tears from still falling down her cheeks. Travis wiped away her tears that were falling down her cheeks. 

"I miss her too Hals. I wish she was here too. She'd love to see how much you've grown." Travis says as they both sit on her bed as she leans her head onto his shoulder as he then wrapped his left arm around her back: as he kissed the side of her head.

She sniffed her nose as he grandpa hands her a box of tissues to blow her nose. After sounding like a dying animal she felt a little more better than she was.

"You got plans tonight, Hal?" Travis asked her with his famous smile that always made Halle smile no matter what mood that she was in. It was contagious but a good contagious.

"Yeah just going in the city for dinner." Halle says as hee grandfather nodded his head at his granddaughter.

"Do you need some money?" Travis asked her offering to pay her dinner as she shook her head.

"I got it, pops. I got fifty dollars." Halle says as Travis turned to her jokingly shocked as that's not like her to have more than five dollars.

"Halle Harris, has fifty fricking dollars. The Halle I knew would be asking me for money. Who are you and what have you done with my granddaughter?" Travis asks her as she just shakes her head at this being amused.

"I know right, so weird." Halle says as she gets up and goes to her vanity mirror where her makeup is at. She starts with a makeup wipe and smudges her hands all over giving her face a massage while taking off the makeup that she cried on.

Then when her face is caked of makeup, she just adds mascara, eyeliner and a pale neutral colored eyeshadow, to complete the look. Then she sprayed her face with setting spray to make sure that her makeup stays where its supposed to be.

When she is done doing that, she gets her boots on and smiles as she walks out of the house. "Have fun, Hal." Travis says to his granddaughter not knowing that it'll be the last time he'll see her.

----

Well that happened. Okay.