chapter 10

"Broaden your minds!" Professor Trelawney yelled into the class. "You must look beyond. The art of the crystal gazing is in the clearing of the Inner eye. Only then can you see," she continued as she was walking around the tables to check on the students. "Try again," she said to two students that were sitting in the right corner of the class. Both Harry and Ron had laid their heads on the table. Harry was staring into the crystal ball and daydreaming, and Ron was snoring next to him, holding his head barely up with his hand. 

"Now, what do we have here?" Professor Trelawney asked as she arrived at the table of the two boys. Ron's head slipped from his hand as he heard her voice and both sat up straight now, looking as if they were interested in the crystal ball the whole time. "Oh, do you mind me trying," Hermione asked, who had just appeared out of nowhere again. Ron looked confused over to Harry, wondering how she got into the classroom this fast again. Trelawney watched Hermione, eagerly waiting for an answer to her question. "The Grim, possibly," Hermione guessed, with no interest in her eyes showing at all. Trelawney's excitement dropped and she shook her head. She moved closer towards the annoyed Hermione and but a hand on her shoulder. 

"My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my classroom I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination," the professor said and took Hermione's hand to look at her palm. "Now, you see, there. You may be young in years, but the heart beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave," Trelawney said, looking into Hermione's palm and turned her hand in every way possible. She then balled up Hermione's hand and patted on it while smiling disappointed at her. Hermione ripped her hand insulted away from Trelawney's and knocked the crystal ball off the table before storming out of the classroom. The crystal ball was rolling down the classrooms corridor towards the door and followed Hermione down the stairs. "Have I said something?" Trelawney asked Harry and Ron concerned. "No, I think she just having a bad day," Ron answered with a forced smile, as the whole classroom was whispering about Hermione's behaviour.

"You seem to not like that class," Alice said as she was following Hermione down the stairs. "I am dropping that class," Hermione replied in rage. "Hermione Granger is dropping a class. I thought she could do anything," Alice mocked her. Hermione stopped walking and looked back at her annoyed. "Don't do that, mockery doesn't suit you," Hermione snapped. "But sarcasm does," Alice answered with a grin on her face. Hermione shook her head and continued walking down the stairs. "When is the class actually over?" Alice asked her. "In about ten minutes. Besides, I must go get ready for my next class," Hermione answered. Alice stopped walking and watched Hermione speed down the stairs. She looked to the ground and next to her feet, there was a crystal ball, right by the windowsill of the small window in the stairwell. She picked it up and investigated it. In that moment she understood why Hermione did not like Divination class. The only thing she was able to see was white, shiny smoke flowing through a small glass ball. Alice made her way back up the stairs into the classroom.

Harry and Ron were the last ones to leave the classroom and followed the other students down the stairs to get to their lunch break. "This is for you," Alice said, appearing out of nowhere right in front of them. Both Harry and Ron jumped up and held onto the railing of the stairwell. "Bloody hell, Alice, don't do that!" Ron yelled at her. "And you shouldn't be in the castle at this time anyways. What are you doing here?" Harry added. "I was bored. And I wanted to see why Hermione hates Divination so much," Alice explained to them. "So, you decided to take a souvenir?" Ron asked sarcastically and looked down at the crystal ball. 

"No, it was laying in the stairwell when I was following Hermione and I didn't know what to do with it. Could you maybe bring it back for me? I am exhausted from my invisibility state and I need to lay down," Alice explained and held the ball towards Harry. Harry nodded slightly and took the ball out of Alice hand. "But she's gone mental Hermione has. Not that she wasn't always mental, but now it's out in the open for everyone to see," Ron said as he looked at the crystal ball. Alice just shook her head and leaned on the wall. "So, I guess we should take this back then," Harry said looking at Ron. "I'm not going back," Ron answered. Harry sighted. "Fine. Alice?" Harry asked, looking at her. "Are you serious. I'm tired," Alice said. "Please, I don't want to go back there alone," Harry pleaded. "Fine, I'll go, but if I am completely drained out, you have to carry me back to Hagrid's hut," Alice demanded. Harry nodded. "See you guys then," Ron said as the two started to go up the stairs again. "See you," Harry and Alice replied.