06

m a d e l y n

"So, at the end, we get 1 as our answer. Any questions?"

I didn't even know what questions to ask. It was a good thing my brother understood Pre-Calculus because I'd be dead without him.

"Okay, if there aren't any questions, you may leave," Mr. Norton dismissed us, and I let out a sigh of relief, flipping my notebook shut.

"I'm so happy to have my seat at the table back," I beamed as Nate caught up to me and draped an arm over my shoulder.

"Sorry you had to move, Mimi," he frowned. "I didn't want you to, but I couldn't do much about it."

I waved it off. "Distance makes the heart grow fonder, right?"

He chuckled. "I don't think that's what they were talking about when they said that, but you're not wrong either."

"All I heard is that I'm not wrong," I shrugged.

"Of course you did," he shook his head, laughing as he rolling his eyes playfully.

We walked to the cafeteria and took our seats at the table after getting some food from the lunch lady. The hamburger was questionable-looking, but it was okay, I guess. Nate seemed to be into it.

"Maddie," a voice caught my attention as Archer and Nate spoke about something I zoned out on.

I looked around to see who was calling me until my eyes finally landed on Mark Whitlock. He was sitting across from me.

"Oh, hey," I greeted him. We didn't talk much, but I knew him because he was on the basketball team with my brother. "What's up?"

"I overheard you and Lila talking last week before one of our AP Chem classes, and you said you've never had peanut M&M's before? Did I hear that right?"

Well, yeah, because I'm insanely allergic to peanuts. "That is true, yes."

"Wow," his eyes grew wide before he slid a pack over to me. "Can't believe it. But here, they're my favorite. You should really try some."

I eyed the candy warily. "Oh, no thanks. I'm all good."

He shook his head. "No, I insist. Here."

Mark reached for the M&M's and ripped the pack open, pulling a red one out and putting it directly in front of my face.

"Red's my favorite color," Nate swooped in and snatched the M&M from Mark's fingers. "Thanks, bro."

There was a surprised look on Mark's face as he processed what just happened. "Uh, yeah, sure. Here, Maddie, take another one."

Nate swatted his hand away before it could get close to me. "Dude, are you trying to kill her or what?"

I put my hand on Nate's arm. "Relax, I'm fine."

"What do you mean?" Mark scrunched his eyebrows together. "Kill her?"

"She's allergic to peanuts, idiot," Nate broke the news.

"But you said you've always wanted to try it," he cocked his head to the side and stared at me in confusion.

I shrugged. "I have. Archer and Nathan like it a lot, and I've always wanted to know what it tastes like. I just can't."

"So stop trying to kill her, dude," Nate narrowed his eyes at Mark.

"Don't overreact, Nate," I warned him, making him grumble something and look away.

"Listen, I'm really sorry," Mark apologized. "I didn't know. I always thought you were allergic to shrimp, not peanuts."

Nate shook his head. "Wrong twin. That's Archer."