12

m a d e l y n

Saturday couldn't come sooner.

I was so busy finishing up my hair that I didn't notice Nate walk into my room.

"Hi," I smiled at him through the mirror, pinning the last part of my hair back.

I turned around to show him how I looked. "What do you think?"

He stared at me, "Wow."

Exactly the reaction I wanted.

"That good, huh?" I laughed. "The silver is nice with the white, isn't it?"

"Mhm," was all he could muster up as he nodded.

I gave him a quick kiss, knowing my brother was downstairs and nobody would catch us. "I love you, Pickle."

A smile appeared on his face immediately as he pulled me in for a hug. "I love you too, Mimi. And did I tell you that you're so beautiful? Because you are."

"Time to go?" I asked

"Time to go?" I asked. I was riding with him and Archer to the venue, so I was guessing he was in my room to tell me it was time to leave. All four of our parents had already gone there earlier because they were involved with some part of the charity ball.

"Yeah, you ready?" he replied.

I nodded, taking his hand to pull him out of my room. Knowing my brother, he was getting impatient waiting for me to finish getting ready.

"Shotgun!" I screamed as Nate and I walked down the stairs. My brother was standing at the bottom with his phone out, and a look of horror and annoyance flashed through his face when he heard me.

"No way," he shook his head. "I was here first."

"But I called shotgun first, sucker," I cackled. "Maybe next time."

"Dude, I was here first. I get shotgun, right?" Archer looked to Nate, waiting for him to take his side in our little disagreement.

Nate glanced at me quickly before shrugging at Archer. "I don't know, man. She did call it."

I smirked at my brother. "Sucks to suck, loser."

The three of us walked to Nate's car as my brother grumbled and sulked. He was such a kid.

"You can take shotgun going home," I told my brother. I hated how his sulking always had a way of getting to me.

"Actually?" his eyes lit up as he slid into the back seat.

"Yeah, whatever," I waved it off. I'll deal with the car sickness that comes with the back seat in some way.

"Nice," he cheered to himself. "Let's get going, Nate-y boy!"

Nate started to drive. "I'm so tired from training earlier. You'd think that coach would give us the day off because Homecoming's tonight and they're using the court, but I guess not."