23

m a d e l y n

The next Thursday after Thanksgiving, Nate was given the devastating news that his grandmother had passed away. A stroke, they said. Had it been Mr. G's mom, he probably wouldn't have been as heartbroken, but it was Quinn's mom, who he was extremely close to.

My mom was talking to Quinn about it on the phone when I was having breakfast, and I happened to overhear.

I'd met her quite a few times, Mrs. Talley. She was a stunning woman who had an air of confidence and sophistication about her. I could see where Quinn got her charm. She was around us a lot when we were kids, and she took care of Nate whenever Mr. G and Quinn had to leave for business and couldn't take their son.

She had a kind soul and a warm smile, and she was an amazing grandmother. In fact, she knew her grandson so well that when he was five and threw a tantrum, refusing to eat or leave his room, she was the only one who was able to coax him out.

Nate had brushed it off when I saw him at school and asked him if he was okay, telling me he was fine and that I didn't have to worry, even if I knew he wasn't fine and I definitely was worrying anyway.

I sent Archer a look, silently asking him what I should do, but all he did was shake his head. I understood what he meant. Don't push it. Let him grieve and he'll talk about it when he wants to. I respected that.

And so I did my best not to baby Nate a little more than usual or talk about anything that might remind him of her, but I did do what I could to make him smile and to be there in case he ever needed me.

Addie sat beside me at the game after promising Nate and Archer that she'd watch one and support them. I even let her borrow the jersey Nate gave me and I used Archer's, just so that she wouldn't stir up dating rumors with my brother.

Although, now that I think of it, people might start assuming things were going on between Addie and Nate. I'll cross that road when I get there.

I'd already given Archer and Nate my pre-game tips, so all I could do was hope that my boyfriend wouldn't break down in the middle of the game and my brother had his head in the game.

"Is it just me or does that kid look like he should be a senior in college and not a senior in high school," Addie leaned closer to me, watching a player from the other team stand there to guard Archer.

Archer threw the ball into the net, making sure to step back and get the three for the team. He scored and fist bumped Nate as they made their way to the other side of the court.

I shrugged. "I honestly have no idea, Ads. But Archer doesn't seem to have a problem handling him at least."

The ball went back and forth between the two teams, neither scoring any points for a whole two minutes. It was honestly infuriating. When the other team got a two-point shot in, Coach Mike called a time out.

"My dad played this game all of high school and I've tried dating basketball players before, but I still genuinely have no idea what's going on sometimes," Addie whispered to me, making me laugh.

"You can always ask me," I offered. "I understand most, if not all, of it."

She nodded and smiled at me, turning back to the court as the players started walking back on it. "Oh, I think time out's over."

By the second quarter, Nate had scored a whopping four points, missing a lot of his shots and even fumbling the ball a few times. He also missed his one free throw. I'd never been so stressed watching a game in my life. I was even more stressed than when I watched the finals last season.