16

Get ready for a long chapter!
tw: assault, robbery, panic attack

~~~

m a d e l y n

I went out for a run. I don't usually, considering we had a treadmill at home, but I wanted some fresh air after a long day at school.

My parents had left for their trip three days ago and weren't back yet, and Archer had basketball training again, so that meant I was home alone.

Before leaving home, all I did was make sure my Apple Watch was fully charged and on my wrist. I didn't bother taking my phone with me because I didn't need it for my run, I wasn't really in the mood to listen to music anyway.

"Nice to see you again here, dear. Back for your usual?"

I somehow found myself at the little store this old lady and her husband owned where I liked to buy my pickles. I didn't know that's where I was headed, but I wasn't mad at it. Good thing I had a little bit of money in my pocket.

"Hi, Mrs. E," I smiled at her, moving to browse the aisles. I never get anything else except pickles from her store, but I liked to look around anyway. "You know I can't resist good pickles. I went for a quick run, and now I'm here."

She laughed, "I always welcome customers, especially pretty ones."

"Slow day at the store today?" I made small talk with Evangeline. I'd become fast friends with her after she noticed that I kept coming back to buy pickles from her like five years ago.

"Little bit," she replied. "Though George said there was a large group this morning."

I nodded. "That's good every once in a while, no?"

"Yes, it's a lot less stressful when there isn't a surge," she agreed. "But it is nice seeing so many people in the store, it reminds me that I made the right decision buying this place all those years ago."

Silence enveloped the place as I walked around, looking through the shelves for my next great find. So far, nothing was striking me.

The bell at the door chimes, signaling that someone had entered the store. I didn't bother to look, busy scanning through the pickle jars in front of me to find my favorite.

"Please don't hurt me," I heard Evangeline whimper, making me furrow my eyebrows and turn around, only to find myself wanting to say those exact words to the person in front of me.

He had a ski mask on. I could only see his cold, heartless eyes as he pressed a blade to the bare skin on my side, not having been covered by my sports bra or the waistband of my leggings. The metal of the knife was so cold it felt like it was burning hot, and no words escaped my mouth. My eyes widened in shock and horror.

All sound drowned out. I couldn't hear Evangeline crying or the threats of the guy forcing her to take all the cash out of the register. Hell, I couldn't even hear my own heartbeat... or maybe that's all I heard?

"Your watch," the masked man motioned to my wrist. "And whatever else you have."

I raised my shaky hands up and slowly slipped the watch off my wrist, handing it to him. I pulled twelve dollars out of my legging pocket and held it out. Coincidentally, a jar of pickles here happened to cost exactly twelve dollars. "That's all I've got."

One Apple Watch and a few dollars was a small price to pay for my life. I could just buy another watch. I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind me giving this guy my birthday gift from her and my dad if she hears what happened.

My breathing hitched when he released the knife from my skin and began patting me down, as if I'd be stupid enough to hide something instead of giving it to him when my life was literally in his hands.