Chapter 16 - Boy Meets Serious (Read A/N)

It's my only choice. If I'm going to find out what's going on, I'll have to do this. I walk to the coat rack and grab my jean jacket. Putting it on, I walk out the door. Shawn is right behind me. I look around and spot Topanga speed-walking down the sidewalk. She's shaking, and I can tell she's cold. Shawn is still looking around, and I jab him in the ribcage and point to her. He nods, and we jog quietly to catch up with her. We still trail behind, but remain unnoticed.

~-~-~-~-~

In just 15 minutes, Topanga turns right onto a driveway, and I'm guessing it's her house.

"Where now, chief?" Shawn asks quietly.

"We watch." I reply in a hushed whisper. We hide behind the bush on her front lawn.

Topanga rings the door, and in a few seconds, I see her walk in slowly, and the door slams shut, making me flinch.

"Cor, something's going on there, man..."

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I roll my eyes and, still crouching, walk out from the bushes. Signaling for Shawn to follow, I crawl to the closest window and peek through.

By the light pink wallpaper, I infer it's Topanga's room. There's a dresser by the door, and, next to it, a bed. The window we're looking through is right in front of the bed.

That's when Topanga walks in crying. My eyes widen, and I raise my eyebrows. She shuts the door behind her, and leans against it for a second, sobbing. Then she walks to her bed, reaches under it, and grabs... My football jersey?!

I squint to get a better look. Yep, number 93, Cinderdude. Shawn is next to me, and by his gaping mouth, I can tell he's shocked too.

"Man, she's got a thinggg for youuu!" Shawn whispers, smirking. I glare at him and turn my focus back to Topanga. By now she's sitting on her bed, hugging the jersey, her bloodshot eyes still shedding tears.

It kills me that I don't know what's going on. I know better than to bother her now, but tomorrow? Yeah, that's when the truth comes out.

~-~-~-~-~-~

I can't sleep. It's midnight, and Shawn's getting a snack from the fridge. I'm sitting on the infamous couch, pressing my temples.

"C'mon Cor, you've gotta set this aside for a few hours. Get some sleep, for God's sake!" He grabs a water bottle and sits beside me.

"I can't!" I snap, without getting a chance to think about what I'm saying.

"Geez, don't have to go all snapping turtle on me," Shawn mumbles under his breath, then scoots further away from me.

"Look, if you want, we'll get to school early tomorrow so you can talk to Topanga before school starts."

"I can't wait that long," I say slowly, still deep in thought, trying to come up with possibilities.

"Okay, we all know what's gonna happen if you don't get your mind off this. You're gonna come up with some crazy, near-impossible idea about what's going on, then hold on to it until you find out the truth. And even then, you'll still question it, although it's right, because you believe your theory is true."

I sigh. He knows me too well.

"Now go to sleep, you predictable, nocturnal weirdo."

Only Shawn Hunter can get away with that.

-~-~-~-~-~-

It's 8 o'clock, and I'm waiting for Topanga at the school entrance. School starts in 45 minutes, I'll have plenty of time to talk to her, after which, I'll leave. I'm still not ready to face my step-brothers.

She goes in so quickly I almost miss her.

"Hey! Topanga, wait up!" I say, grabbing her by the upper arm. She winces, and anger flares inside me. Who is doing this to her?

I look at her. She's wearing a dark grey hoodie, which shades her face. She's also wearing jeans, and black converse shoes.

She's looking down, avoiding eye contact.

"What's going on?"

I don't beat around the bush.

"W-What do you mean?"

"I mean last night. Don't take this the wrong way, but Shawn and I followed you home. You were acting different, and I wanted to know why."

You give honesty to get honesty, right?

"So you did see me?" She whispers. I nod. She sighs. "Follow me."

She holds my hand and pulls me to a bench in front of the school. When we get there, I decide to take it one topic at a time.

"So, why are you wearing the hood on the hoodie? It's not raining or anything..."

She pulls it down, revealing a bruised and swollen cheek, and takes a shaky breath.

"My mom has a new boyfriend. He, uh, doesn't like me too much."

This just got serious.

________________________

Okay, I know this is a short chapter. I just wanted to get one more chapter out before I go under a rock and start studying for finals next week. After that, school will be over, and I'll easily update more than once a week. Bear with me please.

The next chapter will be Topanga's POV, starting at the last thing she says in this chapter. It'll give you a feel about what Topanga's been going through.