Chapter 17 - Boy Meets Conversation

(Back in Cory's P.o.V)

"All that just because you didn't tell your dad what exactly you were going to do?" I ask, in shock, after Topanga told me about her home life.

She nods.

"Topanga, this is bad, and I mean really bad."

"No, it's fine, uh, it's not that bad, I'm okay, really, it's just-"

"I know you're not okay. You've changed, Topanga. And, I'm sorry for saying this, but you've gotta be an idiot to not notice that," I say, and she slouches her shoulders.

"Y-you noticed that?"

"Anyone who cares about you would," I pause, thinking about the situation. "Were you trying to keep that away from me?"

I see her blush and nod slightly.

"Why?" I ask softly.

If I had the chance, I would kill the man who did this to her.

"I was going to lie," She says, still looking into my eyes.

"Why would you do that? You know I would've tried to help, Topanga."

"That's exactly the point, well, it's one of the reasons. I, mean, I didn't want you to get involved. You're going through enough already."

"C'mon, you know I would've still gotten involved even if I didn't know what exactly was going on." I smile while saying this, implying that it was intended to be a bit humorous. She smiles too, ever so slightly.

"You said there was a second reason... What was it?" I ask, scrunching my eyebrows.

Then the bell rings. Of all the possible moments when it could ring, it rings now.

Topanga, probably not wanting to be late, hurries off, while putting the hood back on and covering her face.

I sigh, and walk to the school parking lot, where Shawn is waiting for me.

As we walk home, I process what I've just been told: Topanga's life sucks as much as mine, if not more. I can't let this go on.

"Whatcha thinking Cor?" Shawn asks, with his hands in his pockets.

"We have to help Topanga."

"Oh, here we go..."

"I'm serious Shawn."

"When are you not?"

"We're picking her up after school," I decide. "She'll walk home with us, and-"

"My house isn't a camp for refugees, dude. You've gotta figure this out some other way."

"Well what else are we supposed to do, huh?!"

After a few more minutes of arguing, Shawn agrees, probably out of annoyance.

-~-~-~-~-

The last dismissal bell of the week finally rings, and I see Topanga walking out cautiously. She's caught in the tide of the crowd rushing to get home and start their weekends.

"Hey, Topanga! Wait up!" I say, making my way through the swarm. She stops and looks around. When her eyes land on me, I see a flash of relief in her eyes.

"What are you doing here?" She asks when she reaches me.

"I want you to come with Shawny and me."

"W-Why?"

"I don't want you getting abused any more. You're staying with us this weekend."

Realizing how controlling that statement sounded, I rephrase it.

"I mean, if you want, you can stay with us for the weekend. We'll keep you safe," I say carefully.

"Great! I'll take the offer."

And for the first time in a while, she smiles. Sure, recently, we've shared some jokes, but there was always this tension on her face, and her body. Now, the way she relaxed her shoulders, looked happy, and genuinely smiled...

The old Topanga is finally back.