Part Five

Hey ladies and gentlefish, this part is gonna be a little longer than the others -I hope - I really hope you're all enjoying this! I appreciate everyone who's reading, voting and commenting! Enjoy! 

WARNING: MENTION OF SEXUAL ASSAULT AND MURDER OF A CHILD. 

Chapter Twelve

   It had been a few days since Wayne had told me about his business within the Black Market, and since then, everything has been running smoother between us. Work has been fine. The home had been fine. The only problem was; the worry. He was gone a lot at night, and now that I knew what he was gone doing, I felt sick until the minute I saw those deep, intense, caramel eyes walk through the front door. 

  I hated myself for caring about him, but I couldn't stop. I also couldn't stop but to think about that night he'd made me see starts. That night he had dropped to his knees and pleased me, and then just left me. 

  I told myself over and over again that this was just convenient for both of us; the marriage. I told myself that he didn't really care about me, but when I tried to persuade myself that that was the truth, little moments came flooding back to me. 

  The night he'd driven around the city, searching every bar for me, and after finding me he'd punched a man just for touching me. The little glances we gave one another, the small touches, the words of endearment. 

  Everything about us seemed like something more, but it wasn't. Right now, we were sat across from one another at our dining table. We were eating steak and potatoes, something I'd made of him tonight. "I had no idea you could cook." Wayne hums after swallowing his first bite of steak. 

  "There is a lot you don't know about me." The flirtatious tone that escaped me, shocked me enough to glance up at him. His gaze fixed on me. I smiled, feeling my cheeks heating up under his intense stare. 

  Wayne was the first to break eye contact. His gaze drifted to his steak as he cut another piece with such sure precision that it rattled me to my core. I wonder how many men he had cut apart like that. My stomach twisted. "Then tell me." He finally replied before lifting his fork to his sinful lips. 

  I watched as he popped the steak into his mouth and began to chew. "What would you like to know?" I asked, my voice seemingly strong. I felt weak, utterly weak and hopeless around this man. 

  Wayne shrugged one shoulder, leaning back into the expensive table chair. "Let's start with your family, sounds simple enough." He decides. 

  I scoff, a harsh laugh erupting from the depths of my stomach. "Not simple." I reply, a short answer. Short, and sweet. I didn't want to talk about my family. My mother had failed to protect me growing up, and my father who I'd only seen a handful of times during my twenty-four years on this shitty earth. 

  "Do you have any siblings?" He pried anyway. 

 I sigh, keeping my eyes on my steak and potatoes. "No." I could answer that. I didn't have any siblings anymore, would be the correct and precise answer, but no works too. 

  I wasn't sure how, but I could sense his gaze on me. My eyes fluttered back up to his, his face was consorted into one of focus and sheer determination. He was trying to figure me out. I lean back, mirroring his actions. I cross my arms across my chest, abandoning my knife and fork on the plate. "Stop that." I almost pouted.