Part Twenty

Chapter Forty-One

Ryan

"He hasn't told her," Alek repeats beneath his breath. 

My knuckles begin to turn white with how tightly I'm holding onto the glass of Whiskey. I hated it. I hated how happy she was to see him. I hated how I finally saw that sparkle in her eyes. I hated that he'd decided to lie to her. To keep lying to her. 

My brother was officially worse than me. "A part of me wasn't even surprised," I chuckle, the harsh sound vibrated in my chest. 

"I thought he liked her," Francessca finally says. 

I scoffed. "He does," I admit. 

A was quiet, she usually had so much to say. My eyes take her in a for a quick moment, noticing how tired she looked. She'd weirdly seperated herself from Lillie, which was very unlike her and the survivors here. "Are you okay?", I ask her. 

Her blue eyes met mine and I offered her a slight smile. "Yeah," she said; lied, even. "I just had no idea about it, all of that...", she trails off. A and Fran had no idea about Christopher, they'd had no idea about what Lillie's father had done to Wayne's parents. Until now. I had to tell them. I had to speak to someone, or I'd fucking lose it. 

I'd been so close to telling Lillie myself. She deserved the truth. She was too good for him, she always had been. Too sweet. Wayne knew it. He had to know it, or he'd have confessed everything to her. He knew he'd lose her. Her trust. Her admirration. 

"It's in the past, Wayne and I are over it - mostly. Wayne was there though, he saw it all, you know? He was just a boy," I explain. I understand his need for revenge. I understand why he'd want to get to Chris, but to use Lillie in the process. 

That was too far, even for me. 

"Yeah," she whispers. 

She was defintely not okay. "What's wrong?", I quiz, glancing to Fran, silently asking if she had any idea what her sadness had stemmed from. Francessca shook her head. My eyes shifted to Amelia again. 

She inhaled. And exhaled. "I just worry for Lillie," she rasps, voice breaking. 

"You barely spoke to her since she got here, A," I say calmly. 

Her eyes widen momentarily, as if only just realising how much I'd noticed. "I didn't know what to say to her," she says. Another fucking lie. I look over her face, wondering what she could be hiding. "I knew she wanted Wayne, I couldn't help her," she contines to lie. 

I was close to snapping. "Why are you fucking lying to me?", although my voice sounded steady and controlled, the underlying tone, I knew she understood. I didn't swear at women, whether it was aimed at them or not. It wasn't my thing. 

Her lips parted, and only a second later did they press together again. Silence. 

Something wasn't right. "Can you guys leave us," I glanced at Alek, and then Fran. Fransecca nodded and left, squeezing Amelia's shoulder as a silent reminder that she was there for her. Alek dipped his head and followed Fran out. 

Once the door closed, Amelia broke down. 

She keeled over, elbows on her knees, face in her hands. She was sobbing. What the fuck? I froze for a moment and just watched as she cried. Then, my sense kicked in and I rose to my feet, placing my glass down on the desk before making my way to her side. 

I crouched down with a hand on her back, gently stroking her clothed skin. "Come on A, you can tell me," I whispered. 

She sobbed some more.