Part Fourteen

Chapter Thirty-One

Wayne

I was tired. I had hardly slept for over a month. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep without being awoken by agonizing nightmares about Lillie. "I don't care what we have to do, if that means working with him then so be it," I mutter, my own voice sounding more defeated than I'd like to admit. 

   Alexander ran a hand over his face. "You've worked your entire life to get this man, and he's finally here," He spoke, lowly. I stared across at him. My gaze didn't falter towards Liam and Adam who was standing beside him. 

  Francesca and A were stood behind the three men. "We don't have any leads, Wayne," A finally spoke out, interrupting the chaos that was seconds away from breaking out. She had always been the mother of the group. 

  This is what we do for a living. We find women and children and save them, and now, we couldn't fucking do it. I'd had to take some men from my cousin, Brett, just to help out on the investigation. Ryan - my brother - was hardly around. 

  I was about to speak, but I was beaten to it. "We do have leads," Adam, the new-by muttered with distaste and confidence. "We have one lead that we all continue to ignore," He continued on. Liam, his friend, stiffened beside him. 

  I cocked a brow, shifting my attention from Alex to Adam. "And what might that lead be?" I dared. I knew what he was going to say and I hated myself for ignoring the fact. 

  Adam stood taller for a moment, his eyes holding mine. Most of my men shrunk around me, but my cousin and his closest men were more like family, I liked that. I, however, struggled to trust even myself, never mind anyone else. "We have two leads, if we're being logical here," He didn't back down from my hard gaze. 

  I cocked a brow, edging him to continue. "We have William, who she danced with at her birthday party. We," He takes a glance towards the younger man beside him," - we did some background checks on him, his story doesn't check," He finishes. 

  I sat straighter, how was this only just coming out now? "At first when we did the background checks on him, it all checked but when we dug a little deeper, we found that his father is in a lot of fucking debt," Liam took over, also standing tall. 

  "He doesn't own any of his company, he owes more than what he profits," Adam finishes. "William is taking over a shit-show of a company, he's balls deep in bills and debt and tax, he's way over his head," Liam carries on. These two were quite the pair, weren't they? No wonder my cousin took a liking to them. 

  Alex sighs beside them. "He's taken her to get to you? Then why hasn't he contacted you, that doesn't make any fucking sense," He muttered to both himself, and me. 

  Liam shrugs. "Maybe he's spooked, or maybe he's waiting," He decides, glancing between Alex and myself. What exactly would he be waiting for? "He's waiting you out, he's waiting to exhaust you, then he will hit you when you least expect it," Liam continues. "Maybe he has no idea who he's actually messing with," He shrugs. 

  Adam scoffs beside Liam. "No," He breathes. All eyes turn to Adam. "He doesn't know you, Wayne, he doesn't really know how much you care for her, but he does know her mother... Maybe, he didn't kidnap her to get to you for the money," Adam was talking, but he wasn't talking to anyone in particular.