Part Fifteen

Chapter Thirty-Four

Lillie

I hadn't spoken yet. I hadn't said a word to him, I clung to him as if he was the only sure thing on this planet. I wasn't certain of Ryan, I didn't really know him, but in a place like this, a face you'd seen before, the brother of the man you love, he was a blessing. 

  Ryan didn't complain, he just held me. One hand on my back, holding me to him, the other stroked my hair. I could feel his breath on my neck, his breathing was frantic, just like mine, as if he knew the danger of this - of him holding me like this, in a place like this. 

  Finally, I pulled back and took a step away from him. When I found his gaze, he was staring at me with a gentle look in his eye. He looked so much like Wayne. I hadn't seen Wayne in weeks, maybe even months. I missed him. "H-how?" I panted, stuttering. 

   "I haven't got much time with you, the big boss knows about me, his little minions however do not," Ryan began, and although his breathing had been frantic just moments ago, he was speaking clearly now. He was used to this, being under pressure, having to focus and concentrate. It was his job. "Are you okay?" He asked and as soon as the question left his mouth, he flinched. 

   Ryan physically flinched. "Please forget that I just asked that," He whispered, his eyes finally roaming down my body. I looked down at myself, my nose scrunching up in disgust. I smelt horrible and I looked just as bad. 

  I didn't speak, I didn't respond. This was a lot for me to take in after being trapped and hopeless for so long. "I know that we don't get along, and you don't trust me, but I need you to trust me right now, okay?" His eyes were sparkling, pleading with me. 

  I swallowed and nodded once. "The guy who is running this is a big fucking guy, okay? He's someone who's been on our raider for a long fucking time, we haven't been able to get close to  him, but-" He closes his eyes and takes in a sharp breath. 

  I narrow my gaze at him. Is he saying what I think he's saying? "You put me in here?" I whisper-yelled. 

  Ryan's eyes snapped open. His gaze hard with disgust and disappointment. "You really think that low of me?" He whispered, voice hard. "God, Lillie, I'm risking everything to talk to you right now, Wayne doesn't even know for god sake, he thinks I fucking kidnapped you!" He matched my tone. 

  I can barely even think. "What?" Wayne didn't even know where I was. 

Ryan's lips parted but snapped shut a moment later, as if he'd decided against whatever he was going to say. "My brother loves you, and if he knew where you were, logic would be straight out of the fucking window - he'd storm in here and get you both killed," Ryan began. 

  "He thinks you kidnapped me?" I was frozen. Confused. 

His brown eyes softened. "He can hate me all he wants, and think whatever he wants to think, as long as I get you out of here, and all of those other girls," Ryan whispered. I'd never seen this side of Ryan before and my heart ached for him. 

  He was just as misunderstood as Wayne was. "I just need you to hang on a little bit longer, Lil, I need you to keep fighting, okay?" He stepped forward. I didn't step back. His hands cupped my face and I let him touch me. 

  I didn't shy away. Instead, I allowed myself to revel in his gentle touch. I leaned into one of his hands and let myself feel this moment. I hadn't been touched this gently for weeks. I hadn't been held or felt this safe and comfortable in weeks.