Part Sixteen

Chapter Thirty-Six

Lillie

Two more days had passed since Ryan had visited me. I hadn't seen him since. I missed him. I missed his voice. His face. His promises. I missed Wayne too, of course. I missed life - my life. My body was tired, aching and filthy. My head was buzzing, the silence was defeaning in this cell. 

"Gosh, do you ever shut up?" Jade huffed, sitting beside the dirty mattress. 

Elizabeth was sitting next to her, on the mattress, legs crossed before her. "You're so grumpy, just think about it for a second - we've been here for how long?", The young girl begins. 

Jade answers fast, "Too long.", is all that she says. 

The young blonde huffs. "Years, right? We have never, ever been visited by someone who could vaguely save us," she was talking about Ryan. I'd told them both about him, about his plans to save us. I'd told them that I trusted him. I really do. 

"He isn't going to save us, they'll kill him before he gets a chance."

I roll my eyes. "You're such a bitch for someone who's been locked away for years - you'd think you'd learn to be slightly more sympathetic for the only person who knows what you have been through in those years." I shoot at her. She can't see me in the darkness, but I know she can feel me shooting daggers in her direction. 

Jade turns her head towards me. I can see the white of her eyes. "And what the hell would you know? You've been here for minutes compared to us!", she hisses. It was true - I hadn't been subjected to the same lengths of torture and abandonment like they had. I still understood though. I'd still been used by the very same men that used them. 

"You're right, but that isn't my fault, we're in this hellhole together." I glare at her. My eyes were getting tired. Eyelids heavy. Heart breaking. I wanted to go home. 

"No, you're just giving the girl false hope!"

I reply, "It isn't false hope, he's going to come and save us and when he does I hope you feel like shit for not giving her the hope she deserves and needs.", she doesn't reply for a moment. She doesn't get a chance. There's a knock on the cell - room - door. 

"Cover your ears. Sit at the back of the cell." , and I know that voice. I've been thinking about it for the past two days. I scurry to the back of the cell, the two girls beside me. Jade is silent. Elizabeth is giddy beside me - full of hope. 

"That's him?" She whispers beside me. 

I reach for her hand and hold it. "Yes," Is all that I can say. I squeeze her hand and then I lift my palms to my ears and lay them flat, trying to cover any sound from entering my eardrums. Jade does the same. Elizabeth too. 

And then there's a couple of loud bangs. Gun fire. 

And then there's an either louder bang near the door. It sounds as though someone has just been smashed against it. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" A loud voice yells. 

A man coughs - Ryan coughs at the impact. He must have been pushed into the metal door. "I think I'm about to kick your ass for that," Ryan almost growls - and then there's another bang against the door. "Any last words?" I hear him mutter. It was quiet through the metal door, but I knew he had just spoke it at a normal volume.