Ch. 13 - My Calm Cornflower

"Urokodaki-dono! It's so wonderful to see you again! I was so worried that something had happened to you!"

(Y/n) greeted from his garden, sensing the man in the treeline.
After their first meeting, Urokodaki hadn't been back for months.

"My apologies. The master has been sending all the hashira on many more missions as of late."

Urokodaki spoke as he stepped out from the trees, silently approaching (y/n).

"Oh, that's alright, Urokodaki-dono! Did you find anything interesting while you were out?"

(Y/n) asked from his knelt down position as he inspected his flowers.
Urokodaki said nothing, allowing silence to fill the air between the two save for the crickets and cicadas.
After a minute of nothing, (y/n) stood up and turned to Urokodaki with a concerned expression.

"What did you find? Or... what did you not find? Are you alright? Did something-"

(Y/n) began to panic slightly but was cut off by a hand clamping over his mouth.
Urokodaki sighed and handed (y/n) a small (f/c) box.

"I'm fine and nothing happened. I just didn't know how to say I got you something and..."

Urokodaki trailed off and turned away as (y/n) gently took the box.
He opened it to find two pink apple blossom brooches pinned to red and blue tassels, similar to Urokodaki's mask and haori in color.
(Y/n) smiled and held them to his chest, giggling like a child with a new toy.

"Oh, thank you! Um... what are they?"

"They're pins to hold a haori onto your person. I'd like to train you in the ways of water breathing, (l/n)-kun. You will wear the same haori I do and I will train you under my roof. You won't have to be alone anymore."

Urokodaki spoke calmly, still turned away from (y/n) as he's embarrassed to ask him face-to-face.
Meanwhile, (y/n) stood with a shocked expression that soon turned to annoyance.

"Did... you say 'kun'? 'Kun'!? I'll come stay with you if you'll let me, sure, but I'm so much older than you!"

(Y/n) irked and jumped in front of Urokodaki to confront him.
The older man simply turned away again.

"You don't look a day over 20. You're younger than me."

Urokodaki said with a smile under his mask.

"I'm centuries older than you!"

(Y/n) grumbled and pinned his gifts to the cuff of his black under shirt.
Urokodaki chuckled to himself and shook his head.

"Demon years don't count if you act like a child. Do you wish to train with me or not?"

At the reminder of Urokodaki's offer, (y/n) looked at the old man with shock again.

"Oh, you were serious about that! While I love the gifts you've given me and I feel honored to have this opportunity, I sort of already have a 'breathing style'. Although, I don't like calling it that.. More of a sword-based blood demon art?"

(Y/n) smiled apologetically as Urokodaki turned to face him.
The latter simply sighed and shrugged.

"Well, I suppose it can't be helped. You're still welcome to stay with me as long as you pull your weight and help me look for a successor."

Urokodaki nodded firmly and turned back around, silently praying (y/n) would agree so the two could have each other's company.
It was also becoming terribly difficult to find a successor with the passage of time and perhaps (y/n) could sense a person's swordsmanship potential.

(Y/n), on the other hand, was ecstatic to be invited to stay with him for a different reason.
He simply saw it as a new place to grow flowers and make new friends.

"Oh, I'd love to! Spotting good swordsmen is so easy to do! As soon as they pick up a blade and understand how to swing it, their true potential shines! And I'd be happy to help you work around your house with you being so old!"

(Y/n) teased and Urokodaki delivered a quick whack to the back of his head, making the demon fall forward in surprise.

"Woah! What was that for!?"

"You should respect your elders, (l/n)-kun. Calling someone old isn't nice no matter how true it is."

"Well, you said you're older than me. If you're older than I am, you might as well be ancient."

(Y/n) snickered and jumped up, bearly dodging a kick to the stomach from Urokodaki.
Urokodaki simply sighed and began to walk towards his home, (y/n) right beside him.

"Say, can I give you a nickname, Urokodaki-dono?"

"Depends on what it is. Also, stop calling me 'dono'. That amount of respect is unnecessary."

(Y/n) chuckled and nodded.

"I simply wanted to respect my elders, my calm Cornflower."

At 'elders', Urokodaki raised a hand to whack (y/n) again but he froze and turned his head to the demon in confusion.

"...What?"

Urokodaki spoke after a few seconds of silence, making (y/n) almost burst into laughter.

"Cornflower! I like to give my friends flower nicknames that I think suit them either physically or through their meaning. In your case, cornflowers fit you in both ways!"

(Y/n) beamed and reached into his sleeve, pulling out a bouquet of the same blue flower he had handed Urokodaki on their first meeting.

"That's what these are called? Wait, why 'calm' of all words?"

Urokodaki questioned, carefully taking the bouquet from (y/n).

"Well, it was the only word I could think if that fits you? It was either 'calm' or 'quiet', but the second one didn't feel right. Not for you, anyway."

(Y/n) smiled and the two continued their walk back to Urokodaki's home.

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

960 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

Hello again, my dear reader! Although I'm not too happy with this chapter, the banter was fun to write! Urokodaki is a bit difficult for me to write for but hopefully you've enjoyed the chapter and I hope you have a great day/night! Until next time, dear reader!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《{Secrets unlocked x2! Botany book updated x1!}》

《{Cornflowers: commonly used to symbolize 'tenderness, fidelity, and reliability'!}》

《{Urokodaki doesn't understand why, but he hopes to view (y/n) as a son!}》